Commercial Game ?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Konjkav
Gnoblar

Commercial Game ?

Post by Konjkav »

Hi every body,
I'm a new member and i want to start learning and working on OGRE.
But first i want to know if there is any Big and Commercial game were created by OGRE?
It's important for me. And I will be happy if you answer it. :wink:

tnx
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Why is this important for you to learn OGRE...? Doesn't the quality of the tool count, not its references? Btw., there are a handful of commercial games, like the Ankh series, Jack Keane, the pacific storm games, So Blonde and more.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

...and this is in 'Showcase' because? :?
Konjkav
Gnoblar

Post by Konjkav »

Ok, I saw them. very good...
and i want to know, from wich tutorial should I start?
tnx
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

Konjkav wrote:Ok, I saw them. very good...
tnx
From the "Rules" button above where it is written:
"Always search the forum and the Wiki before posting. You should also familiarise yourself with the API and Manual. "
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Konjkav wrote:Ok, I saw them. very good...
tnx
You don't expect the Ogre tutorials to help you make a Big and Commercial game, now, do you? :roll:

... we'd all be making Big and Commercial games if that was how it worked :|

Ok, sorry, but your posts seem rather... :?
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

come on, it's better to cheer him up than to bring him down. Who would want to create games if noone was helpful and everybody said it was impossible?

When I started with Ogre I worked through the tutorials...and when I had got a hang of the basic classes I got rid of the example framework (which is used in most of the tutorials). When I started, tutorial 6 didn't exist so I read the Practical Application article on the Wiki. But I guess tutorial 6 is the way to go when you want to make your own app. I also recommend building Ogre from source instead of using the SDK when you feel ready for it...that way you can look up how stuff works in Ogre when you feel the need.

But start with the basic tutorials here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ogre_Tutorials

I'd also recommend reading some general stuff about making a game engine...like the enginuity tutorials at gamedev. They can seem a bit hard to chew for a beginner but it is good to have the link:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/progra ... nginuity1/
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

oddrose wrote:come on, it's better to cheer him up than to bring him down. Who would want to create games if noone was helpful and everybody said it was impossible?

When I started with Ogre I worked through the tutorials...and when I had got a hang of the basic classes I got rid of the example framework (which is used in most of the tutorials). When I started, tutorial 6 didn't exist so I read the Practical Application article on the Wiki. But I guess tutorial 6 is the way to go when you want to make your own app. I also recommend building Ogre from source instead of using the SDK when you feel ready for it...that way you can look up how stuff works in Ogre when you feel the need.

But start with the basic tutorials here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ogre_Tutorials

I'd also recommend reading some general stuff about making a game engine...like the enginuity tutorials at gamedev. They can seem a bit hard to chew for a beginner but it is good to have the link:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/progra ... nginuity1/
I'm not trying to bring the guy down, let me rephrase what I mean: basing what rendering engine (or any library for that matter) you use on whether commercial games have been made with it is a very bad thing to do - especially if you're just starting out, and don't have previous experience with the said engines.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

nullsquared wrote: I'm not trying to bring the guy down, let me rephrase what I mean: basing what rendering engine (or any library for that matter) you use on whether commercial games have been made with it is a very bad thing to do - especially if you're just starting out, and don't have previous experience with the said engines.
How many (and what quality) commercial games have been written with an engine is a very good indicator of whether it's ready for commercial use or not.

If there's nothing out there, you can always say 'well maybe someone didn't use it yet' but if there's a lot you know it's ready.

It's also an indicator on the size of the community and how easy it will be to find the information you will need.

When I was deciding what engine I wanted to invest time in, you can bet I looked at what was written with the engines before I looked at anything else.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Aladrin wrote: How many (and what quality) commercial games have been written with an engine is a very good indicator of whether it's ready for commercial use or not.
Right. As I said, though:
[...] bad thing to do - especially if you're just starting out, and don't have previous experience with the said engines
He's most likely not ready for commercial use himself, judging by his posts.
Konjkav
Gnoblar

Post by Konjkav »

hi,
I didn't say i want to design a big commercial game with these tutorials. I heard that WarCraft was made by DirectX and OGRE and i wanted to know that is really or not?
And about knowing engines, i should say that i worked with some engines like: 3dgs, quest 3d, tge , tgb, gm and ... .
but know i want to work with OGRE.
And thanks for you helps :P
I wish life had Ctrl + Z . . .
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

It would be worth your while doing some general reading too, our 'Recommended Reading' section on the main website has some good titles, you might be particularly interested in 'Game Coding Complete' which coveres a lot of ground.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Konjkav wrote:I heard that WarCraft was made by DirectX and OGRE and i wanted to know that is really or not?
I really really really really doubt that Blizzard used Ogre3D in Warcraft....especially considering Warcraft was out before Ogre was started...
The series began in 1994 with the game Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, a real time strategy game set in Azeroth
Steve started the engine now known as OGRE in late 2001
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

xavier wrote: I really really really really doubt that Blizzard used Ogre3D in Warcraft....especially considering Warcraft was out before Ogre was started...
yeah and many people don't know that actually the first quake/half life engine and then source were all derived from OGRE. In fact the new crysis engine is also ogre-based. hehehehehe.

ok sorry but I just couldn't resist :lol:
asteroidWars - an OGRE game
NOOB MAKE MMORPG- the flash movie
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

yuriythebest wrote:
xavier wrote: I really really really really doubt that Blizzard used Ogre3D in Warcraft....especially considering Warcraft was out before Ogre was started...
yeah and many people don't know that actually the first quake/half life engine and then source were all derived from OGRE. In fact the new crysis engine is also ogre-based. hehehehehe.
And havn't you seen the OGRE-Logo at the beginning of BioShock? Damn, that was an impressive use of it...
eLunir
Gremlin

Post by eLunir »

I know, I shouldn't really be saying this - but the whole of Unreal Engine 3 is nothing other, but a rip-off of OGRE (they just took the entire engine, changed the name from OGRE to Unreal and added a few physics/AI libs...) Gee, now having said that, they would probably come after me, damn...
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

eLunir wrote:... the whole of Unreal Engine 3 is nothing other, but a rip-off of OGRE (they just took the entire engine, changed the name from OGRE to Unreal and added a few physics/AI libs...)
:lol: I hope you are joking...
Because if it is true and you can show proofs Sinbad could end up owning Unreal 8)

Unreal Ogre Tournament
- that would be cool.
Last edited by steven on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
lXciD
Greenskin

Post by lXciD »

he joking obviously.

world of warcraft is done in ogre though.

lol.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

lXciD wrote: world of warcraft is done in ogre though.
Yes, but only with the commercial version, which sinbad claims "not to be started" - harhar. See the feature list for 2.0, that's pretty much WoW. He keeps the good stuff for the paying minority! But someday he will give it free and we can build MMORPGs with two man teams in our spare time!
Konjkav
Gnoblar

Post by Konjkav »

but i wasn't joking...
may be it was World Of War Craft, and i'm not sure.
OK, Go On,
Can any one say why he/she works with OGRE not with other engines?
I wish life had Ctrl + Z . . .
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

At first I just did like you and looked in the Featured Projects gallery. Then I looked at the community size and then Ogre got recommended by a friend. That pretty much settled it. I think Ogre is so low-level (in terms of closeness to the render systems) that it, in a way, becomes what you want it to be.

But as for comparisons, threads about it pops up about once per month so I'm sure you can find something if you search a little...
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

Wait, this thread is confusing, Who is using Ogre? :x
MartinBean
Gnome

Post by MartinBean »

danharibo wrote:Wait, this thread is confusing, Who is using Ogre? :x
I am...

Better: I think all of us on this forum...
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
eLunir
Gremlin

Post by eLunir »

Better: I think all of us on this forum...
Sorry to disappoint you, but as a matter of fact noone is using Ogre, as it does not even exist, it was just an illusion made to gather all of us here on the forums, and very soon all of us will be fully controlled zombies, lurking around the streets. And there will be Sinbad (or whoever is controlling him) ruling the entire world... :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. Konjkav, you are right, not only do they use Ogre for WoW, but it is also used in the upcoming Starcraft 2, and it was meant to be used in the Starcraft Ghost (which was never released, because Steve wanted too many zeroes for the license...)
P.P.S. As to the reason why lots of people use Ogre - it is the best (in terms of features, expandability & community) open source engine out there, which is even capable of competing with any proprietary engine out there.