New "We Recommend" page on the main Ogre site

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

New "We Recommend" page on the main Ogre site

Post by sinbad »

OGRE's been going for a long time now, and over the years a number of 'satellite' projects and commercial products have sprung up around it. People in the community already know about the best ones, but it was pointed out to me recently that to a newcomer, the vast number of add-on projects is a bit daunting. The wiki and forums are great places for the community melting-pot of activity to go on, but for newcomers to the engine it would really be a good idea to be able to point them at a list of the more mature and best supported add-ons.

So, that's what the new "We Recommend" page is for. In many ways it's like the Featured Projects gallery is; projects that we on the OGRE team feel are high-quality enough to put on a 'top picks' list, front-and-centre on the main site so that anyone new to OGRE gets a kind of executive summary of the best stuff out there.

I've added a few obvious projects to it already, but I will be adding more, I'm open to suggestions. It's very important to realise that we have strict criteria for this list:
  • Mature software only: No beta software, no works-in-progress, no 'it's almost ready but..'. Only things that are production-ready, and preferably that have already been used in a production environment. I don't care how cool something is, if it's not ready for people to entrust the safety of their own projects on (genuinely earning that magical "v1.0"), it doesn't get on the list.
  • Well supported: You must have high-quality, active channels for users to consult for support. It doesn't matter whether that's a community resource or private commercial support, it just has to be there and clearly marked. In the case of the former, you need a mature & active community to qualify.
  • OGRE Oriented: You need to be adding something of value to the OGRE community.
Please don't bother applying unless you honestly believe you satisfy these criteria. The OGRE team reserve the right to judge for ourselves on this, and your case will carry the most weight if your product has already received good feedback from the community. And to be clear, inclusion on the list is not affected by donations, we don't charge for advertising, and we also don't care how you are licensed; open source, free and commercial tools are all welcome if they meet the criteria. This is just a list we hope will genuinely help people process the ever increasing list of addon projects and know which ones are the most stable, popular and well maintained so they waste the least time getting up and running with OGRE.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Re: New "We Recommend" page on the main Ogre site

Post by lonewolff »

I plan on being up there one day, Sinbad! :wink:
VictorFeliz
Gnoblar

Post by VictorFeliz »

Production ready but not reached the 1.0 status could be send? I mean products using in several project but they have not catalogued as 1.0 since more features are planned.

I mean this one:
http://www.vimeo.com/6899697
http://www.vimeo.com/7720630
Motiva website: www.motivacg.com
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Motiva is very impressive, and powered by Ogre, but does it add something of value for the Ogre community?
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
VictorFeliz
Gnoblar

Post by VictorFeliz »

Upps I'm afraid than until 1.0 has been reached it won't be released as opensource :oops:

Note: Motiva is the company name and we have other Ogre based products but it won't be released as opensource.
Motiva website: www.motivacg.com
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

No, I don't mean open source.
OgreMax is not open source either, but it provides a good toolchain for Ogre users. :)
Open source is not a requirement.
If Motiva is a valuable tool especially for Ogre users, then it would would be a candiate.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

But send in your application! :)
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

It looks like a post-production tool for still images, so imo it is not a tool specific for Ogre users. If it can be used as a camera plugin for realtime scenes, it is more usable to the Ogre community. I proposed something earlier but it was dismissed, but a camera that mimics a real camera (including DOF) IS very interesting.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

"1.0" isn't a cast-iron requirement, but "production-ready" is. NeoAxis isn't 1.0 but it's been used in full production (see Sacra Boar) and has been around for enough years and used by enough people that it's definitely production-ready. Some people are just extra-cautious about when they decide they've hit 1.0, and I respect that - we didn't hit it ourselves for about 5 years ;)

Motiva is nice but it's more an application that uses Ogre for a specific purpose, than a tool that would be regularly used by people making things with Ogre themselves. We're looking for the latter.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Good initiative, maybe this kind of quality distintion will lead some developers to put an extra effort on their "half-production-ready" tools/applications to achieve the necessary quality for being in this list.

Hope to see one day some of my future ogre-based projects in this list, this will be an honour.

In March, my art team(3D+2D/BLOCKED) and me we'll be proud to announce a complete open-door-scenes/showcase engine with a complet set of tools which, of course, uses Ogre for the rendering part. The engine+tools are currently in a hard(but funny!) development state due to the extra effort of build all the engine over a custom micro-threading library, but I'm sure this hard work will be recompensed in the future ;) .

Xavier
altren
Gnome

Post by altren »

How about adding one more GUI?
It satisfies to all requirements posted here.
1. Mature. It's under development for more than three years, it was used is several finished commercial projects.
2. Ogre Oriented. Well, MyGUI became not Ogre-only after 3.0 release, but it was the only and will be our main platform in future.
3. Active Support. I think almost everyone saw where jacmoe sends new MyGUI users :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Agreed, and done.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

Not sure if this is out of scope for the page but I think MOgre deserves to be there with more and more use of .net languages.
It's well maintained, used in commercial products (at least editors :) ) and well... it's a tad ogre oriented ;)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

The maintainers should contact me and make their case including commitment to future support etc. I'm not sure who's currently looking after MOGRE now?
GantZ
Kobold

Post by GantZ »

I'm the one who take care of maintaining Mogre. I also think about applying, but for the moment, the last stable version is the 1.4.8 one.
The final sdk for the 1.6.5 version should be out pretty soon (it have been in beta for some time now, and so far, it work ok), followed soon after by the 1.7 version, but some things still need to get fixed before.

when everything will be ok, i will send in my application :)
mogre community irc channel at : irc://freenode/#mogre

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Ok thanks, that's sensible.
Kronen
Gnoblar

Post by Kronen »

Qt?