RenderQueue per PASS ?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Shimayama
Halfling

RenderQueue per PASS ?

Post by Shimayama »

Hi,

I would like to force material passes to be rendered in specific render queue groups. However, I can't find any setting for this...?

Simplified, I have 2 entities, entity A and entity B. Both have a unique material, material A and B. Both of these materials have 2 or more passes. Now I want to control the order that these passes are rendered.. I can't just set the entities renderer queue group, since the materials order should be mixed.

For example, how would I force a custom rendering order like this one:

material A - pass1
material A - pass2
material B - pass1
material A - pass3
material B - pass2

The reason why I'm doing this is because of some clipping/transparancy stuff.. (e.g. creating the illusion of a cylindrical object cutting through a plane (like a boolean operation), without actually deforming any vertices.. just clipping and depth-write logics)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: RenderQueue per PASS ?

Post by Praetor »

Unfortunately this just can't within the current rendering architecture of Ogre. Render passes are a higher level concept than material passes. So, objects are sorted into passes first, and then their passes are rendered. Rendering individual passes in different queues would require sorting on a pass-level which isn't done. You might have to do this with multiple copies of the objects.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
visor24
Gnoblar

Re: RenderQueue per PASS ?

Post by visor24 »

Hi,

I'm interested in this topic because it is related to a problem I'm trying to solve here.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69285

Praetor(or any others familiar with Ogre3D), does this mean currently there's no way to do this with Ogre3D?
1. Rearrange objects for each light
2. Setup stuffs for lights (projection/falloff map, position, etc)
3. Render those objects with additive blend for each light

Is there any other viable options to implement cookie light and/or point light with shadow mapping?