Using OgreBites::Applicationcontext for own games?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
danielspengler99
Gnoblar

Using OgreBites::Applicationcontext for own games?

Post by danielspengler99 »

Hello together,
Yesterday I posted a question about ogre without any helpers like the OgreBites::Applicationcontext but I had to realize very fast that it is very hard to do so.
So my question is: Is it smart to use the AppContext for own programs? I mean, it is doing a lot of things maybe people don't need and it is taking care of some things you maybe want to take care yourself like input. This can be dangerous when you want to use annother input system, for example the engine gainput which is made for things like games.
Oh and most important: It seems to have an own gameloop which is taking care of some general things, but I need to own this loop because I maybe want to do some things myself in this loop?

Please tell me if you used the ApplicationContext in your own programs.

Regards,
Daniel
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Using OgreBites::Applicationcontext for own games?

Post by paroj »

actually ApplicationContext is designed sucht that you can easily customize it to your needs. The main-loop handling is optional - just call renderOneFrame() instead of startRendering(). The input handling is optional as well - for instance on Android the system inp events are injected externally into the ApplicationContext.
The OgreBites Component was just introduced with 1.10, so you probably will not find many deployment reports.