Lightning Wheels

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
carlos
Gnoblar

Lightning Wheels

Post by carlos »

Hi,

just a little post to show our new WIP, Lightning Wheels, a car racing game.
We try to make something with a bit of ironman, generally, etc but full 3d.
You can see a video and some cars in our blog (spanish :S).

Direct link to the video: Video

Waiting for your comments.
Greetz!
Last edited by carlos on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Looks cool :) Keep up the good work!
dazKind
Gnoblar

Post by dazKind »

Now how lovely is that? Looks very sweet. Keep it up! :)
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Awesome! Reminds me of 4x4 Offroad or whatever it was called in the arcade! Nice!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Good work so far, it's looking fun already :)
carlos
Gnoblar

Post by carlos »

Thanks!

It's just a very basic video, we can't wait to show something :D
The final game will have many other elements in the track like cones, people, trees, wheels, etc. and also particle effects, thread marks and many other.

We're working hard to have new features ready to show, so expect new videos and screenshots ;)

We also have an editor to make tile based tracks, so players can make their own tracks (we'll make tutorials on hand made tracks too).

Thanks again for comments!
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

Now that looks like fun! Aesthetically it looks amazing. I think there should be a tad more suspension though, it seems very tough when it lands :D
code | blog
jacmoe wrote:MMORPG good. :o
Xavier bad. :x
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Mickey Thompson's Super Offroad baby! That looks great. The changing of cameras looks great. I can't wait to see more. Great work guys!
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Cool! That sure looks like you have some nice car physics. :)
luis
Greenskin

Post by luis »

thanks for your kind words :)
I think there should be a tad more suspension though, it seems very tough when it lands
yes, we are tunning the suspensions right now, one problem we found is that suspension springs depends on the FPS....
Cool! That sure looks like you have some nice car physics
yes, it's because we are using a nice wrapper :) OgreOde (thanks Monster!!!) it has almost everything we need to make this game, we added some extra functionality like anti-sway bars and the ability to load torque curves in the XML file.

I hope the new FixedForwardInterpolated Stepper made by tuan kuranes solves the problem with the springs. We're going to use the new version ASAP, then merge our changes and send him a patch (or source).
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

If the tension in springs is FPS dependent does that mean you are not locking the physics updates to a constant framerate? I think that if you did this, you would find your simulation would be much more stable. For something physics-heavy like this, perhaps a framerate of 100 for the physics would work nicely.
luis
Greenskin

Post by luis »

If the tension in springs is FPS dependent does that mean you are not locking the physics updates to a constant framerate?
we use the visual framerate to update physics. I agree that using a constant framerate is the best solution to have an accurate simulation but we should implement physics in another thread and it adds to much complexity to the code (we allready have 3 threads, main app, sound and network).
Interpolated stepper should do the work also.... (i hope!)
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

wow, looks very cool and smooth. :) good job.
I want more! :)
luis
Greenskin

Post by luis »

Hi people!
After some months of hard work we are back in action :)
We removed OgreOde (poor perfomance with "high" resolution heightmaps) and we are currently using (and hacking) with NxOgre 0.9 :) it works just perfect !

Here is our new wheel system in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZtdjoaVzEg

Any similarity to ironman's track is purely coincidental :)

I must give thanks to betajaen for his support and for letting us to add and ask for specific features in the lib :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Very impressive.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Sorry, I can't help but hijack this thread and turn it into a conversation about the other game in your sig... The Robotech one.

I see there's source for download. Is that just for a the demo, or will the whole game be free?

I wasn't a fan of Robotech until I read the books, which got me to watch most of the Anime... And then I was a pretty big fan. (Oddly enough, the books are less about the tech and more about the people and war.)

Edit: Gah! I should have read the site a little more.
A free 3D Game for linux and windows platforms based on Ogre3D engine.
Awesome. Just awesome. :)
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

I loved the "Ivan Stewart's Off Road" series of game in the arcade.. and this game reminds me of that!

this is looking great! the trailer on the first post looks like you have a cool feel to the physics!
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
luis
Greenskin

Post by luis »

Sorry, I can't help but hijack this thread and turn it into a conversation about the other game in your sig... The Robotech one.
no problem, here is the thread about that "game" in case you want to see it:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... t=robotech
I wasn't a fan of Robotech until I read the books,
I'm a robotech fan since i was six years old ! :) i like also the original saga Macross. That game/demo is quite old, the source code compiles with a very old Ogre version...
A guy has asked me to let him continue the development and he will be doing the "Gerwalk Reloaded" version (see the island screenshots in the site) this version will be completly rewritten with outdoors....
this is looking great! the trailer on the first post looks like you have a cool feel to the physics!
that was OgreOde ! the new version with NxOgre is even better :) i hope to make a public demo soon.....

thanks for all you comments!
mikeInside
Kobold

Post by mikeInside »

luis wrote: and we are currently using (and hacking) with NxOgre 0.9
wow that's brave, but it's paying off! The game looks fun... like GeneRally on steriods. Keep us updated on your progress! :)
Funcracker
Halfling

Post by Funcracker »

Very nice vid! Seems like this will turn out to become a fun little arcade game!

One question though. I'm wondering what your reasons were for turning to NxOgre. Did you consider other alternatives (Bullet, PhysX, etc)? I'm really curious as I used ODE (without the OgreODE wrapper) for a small race game, and it was very hard to get it right. After that I've been looking into other Physics engines, but it's hard to make an accurate decision of what to use without testing them all. And that is something I really don't have time for ;)
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

luis: That looks really nice! The graphics and physics look very well done (except maybe for the wood beams, which seem to act like ice ;) )
One question though. I'm wondering what your reasons were for turning to NxOgre.
I think he mentioned it was because NxOgre (Ageia PhysX) works well with high resolution heightmap terrains (this is also one of the main reasons I am using PhysX).
Funcracker
Halfling

Post by Funcracker »

JohnJ wrote:luis: That looks really nice! The graphics and physics look very well done (except maybe for the wood beams, which seem to act like ice ;) )
One question though. I'm wondering what your reasons were for turning to NxOgre.
I think he mentioned it was because NxOgre (Ageia PhysX) works well with high resolution heightmap terrains (this is also one of the main reasons I am using PhysX).
Ack.. right Nx is Novodex :oops: For some reason I mis-interpreted it as being Newton. Anyway, I did read the part where he stated NxOgre worked better with high resolution heightmaps than the former OgreODE implementation. But this says nothing about the alternatives. Are they outclassed when it comes to resolution as well? Or were there other reasons for picking NxOgre?

Or has it already been proven that NxOgre works best for high resolution heightmaps?

p.s. Sorry for my OT posts..
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

Are they outclassed when it comes to resolution as well? Or were there other reasons for picking NxOgre?
I don't know about Newton, but as far as I know both ODE and Bullet simply convert heightmaps to "polygon soup" collision forms. This means that large terrains would take up huge amounts of memory, and probably run very slow. I think Newton is heightmap-compatible, but I decided not to use Newton since it is extremely slow even with simple scenes (a stack of crates, for example, can bring your game down to 5 FPS with Newton).
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

JohnJ wrote:I think Newton is heightmap-compatible, but I decided not to use Newton since it is extremely slow even with simple scenes (a stack of crates, for example, can bring your game down to 5 FPS with Newton).
PhysX has something like this too; instead of generating a triangular mesh from a image file, it has a specific shape (NxHeightField) designed to accept 16-bit floats as separate points in height. It's very fast, precise and can easily handle large distances.
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

What are you taking about? Newton is not the fastest but its not really that slow I suggest you review what ever settings you ran the demo under.