X-Sled Hillclimb - Prototype screenshots

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
blackhound70
Kobold

X-Sled Hillclimb - Prototype screenshots

Post by blackhound70 »

Hello guys,

We are working on a new game called X-Sled Hillclimb. It is an extreme snowmobile racing game. Snowmobile hillclimb racing is an existing sport. It is similar to slalom sking but you start at the bottom of the hill.
We found a distributer a few weeks ago. We will make an official announcement soon.

Here is a few screenshots. Tell us what you think!
=)

Eric Trudel
CEO
Wendigo Studios
http://www.wendigostudios.com/
To1ne
Halfling

Post by To1ne »

Whow tjeez, real great work. Looks real cool and something different!!!
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

this looks great! I love to see unusual games and sports like this... I look forward to playing it!
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
Twinsen
Gnoblar

Post by Twinsen »

Wow....that looks really awesome; always love snow themed games; what Physic API are you guys using? and does that have a large impact on the game play?
looks great so far!
MD
blackhound70
Kobold

Post by blackhound70 »

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments on our game.

Twinsen: We are using PhysX API from Ageia as a physics engine. So far, having a realisticaly moving snowmobile is proving quite a challenge. The combination of extreme pictches, jumps and bumps requires a lot of "tweeking". Frankly we are not there yet if u ask me. But we are getting closer, we have front and rear suspension movements wich is quite cool . :)

Presently we are starting to implement terrains specs (deep snow, stomped snow, ice, dirt patches). All those terrains will have influences on traction and performance of the snowmobile.

I'll post a link to a video soon. You'll be able to see the snowmobile in action.

Take care

Eric Trudel
CEO
Wendigo Studios
http://www.wendigostudios.com
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Ah, so that's what that model (lighting thread) was for :) Nice work.
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

Very nice! I like off-road racing/sports games like this, and from what I can see this may be one of my favorites :D.
Jules Robichaud Gagnon
Goblin

Post by Jules Robichaud Gagnon »

JohnJ wrote:Very nice! I like off-road racing/sports games like this, and from what I can see this may be one of my favorites :D.
You are somehow part of it since your paged geometry is a great help to this project JohnJ. :wink:
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

Jules Robichaud Gagnon wrote:You are somehow part of it since your paged geometry is a great help to this project JohnJ. :wink:
I'm glad you found it useful - the best part about making a free library is seeing it used :D
blackhound70
Kobold

Post by blackhound70 »

Hello again,

Thanks for your nice comments guys.

Here is a link to the gagme in action!

http://games.wendigostudios.com/enUS/games/videos

Tell me what you think! :)

Take
To1ne
Halfling

Post by To1ne »

Real cool, super!!! Sometimes it's hard to separate the real crashes from the virtual...
I hope there soon is a demo coming up?:) :wink:

What are the different play modes? Only hillclimbing? Or are there also specials like "long jump" or something?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

JohnJ wrote:
Jules Robichaud Gagnon wrote:You are somehow part of it since your paged geometry is a great help to this project JohnJ. :wink:
I'm glad you found it useful - the best part about making a free library is seeing it used :D
Amen. :)
blackhound70
Kobold

Post by blackhound70 »

Real cool, super!!! Sometimes it's hard to separate the real crashes from the virtual...

The crashes are not implemented yet. But it will be a really important part of our game. We plan to have burnout 3 type of crashes. For this we will have to constuct an AI that we call "virtual director" who will decide what camera angle to use for each crash. We will aslo feature slow motion action and stuff like that. I can't wait for those features!!!
I hope there soon is a demo coming up?

I have no date yet for an official demo. We plan to release the final game next spring. So the official demo will be around that date. But this might change. At this point, it all hangs on financing.
What are the different play modes? Only hillclimbing? Or are there also specials like "long jump" or something
So far we have the following game modes planned:
  • Hillclimb : You have to go up hill and navigate through a series of gates. The first one to the finish line wins the game
  • Downhill : Same thing but downhill....
  • Mountain Rally : You follow a course in the mountain (a combination of hillclimb and downhill action)
  • Crash and burn: You have to crash your snowmobile. The more damage, the more points.
A long jump even would be good also :) We will look into that :D

Eric Trudel
CEO
Wendigo Studios Inc.
http://www.wendigostudios.com
futnuh
Goblin

Post by futnuh »

walaber wrote:this looks great! I love to see unusual games and sports like this...
Snowmobiling in Quebec isn't unusual ;-)
MvanTol
Gnoblar

Post by MvanTol »

This really is fun... I've played some snowmobile racers in the past, but the physics in those games were like driving a regular car racing game... I think you don't have that same problem! :)
blackhound70
Kobold

Post by blackhound70 »

This really is fun...
:lol: thanks! We obviously think this is fun too! So far, all hardcore gamers I saw try this game were having a lot of fun.
I've played some snowmobile racers in the past, but the physics in those games were like driving a regular car racing game... I think you don't have that same problem.
In our physic model, the snowmobile has two "wheels" in front, tweeked to simulate both skis. The track is modeled using 3 "flintstones wheels" and provide the traction. So our snowmobile is in fact a modified "car". Getting all this to work is not so easy as it looks. It is a real challenge actually. So far, casual gamers (like our girlfriends) have a lot of difficulty handling the snowmobile because it is really sensible to bumps and will turn on a dime if you turn too long. But we are getting there. :D
To1ne
Halfling

Post by To1ne »

So it will support steering wheels or analog joysticks too? (I don't know how hard it is, so I'm not saying this too loud...)
Denis_
Halfling

Post by Denis_ »

yeah... it's a good work :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Looks nice!

Some constructive criticism about your video, though: I liked it up until you started showing real snowboarding. At first, I thought you were going to show a real clip, and then a clip from the game... But you didn't. In fact, later, you say 'realistic crashes!' and then only show live shots, not shots from the game.

This seems to be a little deceptive, and I'm sure that's not how you meant it to be.
blackhound70
Kobold

Post by blackhound70 »

Aladrin wrote :
This seems to be a little deceptive, and I'm sure that's not how you meant it to
This teaser was mainly done to present our concept to publishers and distributors. Realistic crashes will be a big part of our game but this feature is not implemented yet. We still wanted them to see where we are going though. This is why we placed real footage instead. As soon as we got this feature implemented we will update our teaser to feature them.

There is no deception intended. Think of it as most of cinematic intro to similar types of games that mixes real shots with captures from the game.

Denis_ wrote :
yeah... it's a good work

To1ne wrote
So it will support steering wheels or analog joysticks too?
Ohh yeah, this feature is already implemented. We support gamepads also since we plan to have an updated version on XBLA. We already started some analysis on that project.
To1ne
Halfling

Post by To1ne »

blackhound70 wrote:Ohh yeah, this feature is already implemented. We support gamepads also since we plan to have an updated version on XBLA. We already started some analysis on that project.
Whow, you keep amazing mee!!! Real great work!! Can't wait to playing it?