GraLL - Take The Test (Update: 18th August 2007)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
nikki
Old One

Re: GraLL - Take The Test (Update: 18th August 2007)

Post by nikki »

Sorry for ressurecting the topic, but I'd want to add that I've now begun work on GraLL 2 (well, about a month ago actually). Here are a few pictures:-

Image Image Image

There is (or will be) a lot of new stuff: Better visuals, Python scripting (this allows per-instance unique behaviour, fun stuff. For example, I was able to make an entire 'cutscene' sequence using only scripting in Blender), 'proper' save/load (yes, 'save points' in the levels, something everyone wanted in the original GraLL, now possible in GraLL 2 due to NGF::Serialisation), new kinds of obstacles... I'm working on it. :)

For now the level looks very original-GraLL-ish, but that's because of the tile textures and the level style. I just had to hack together a simple test level. Hopefully the real GraLL 2 levels'll be cooler. :D

EDIT: Ahh, great! This made a new page, and is the 100th post! <3 the Ogre forums. :)
Sslaxx
Greenskin

Post by Sslaxx »

That looks really rather nice there, Nikki! Looking forward to seeing the real Grall 2 levels.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Oh, I forgot to mention the main feature! It's the 'dimension system'. This means, basically, that there are two parallel worlds in the same place, and you can switch between them. Will allow cool puzzles. Here's a video showing the idea (the video got sped up a lot, and distorted too, and also is a bit old):-
GraLL 2 - Preview 1

The video just shows a simple use of the dimension system (walls), but of course there's a whole lot of stuff that you could do. Remember, everything can be different between the dimensions: Bomb here, no bomb there, moving platform moves differently here, differently there, etc. And Python scripting only makes it better. :)

Here's a picture of what dimension 2 might look like. It's just an effect I tried, I might try out other effects too.:-

You could try out the game 'Dim' (it's a Windows game) on this page, which implements the dimension idea.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I've uploaded a new preview video of GraLL 2 to Vimeo. Click on the thumbnail to watch it:

PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Great stuff, nikki. Looks like it's coming together ncely. The dimension idea is interesting - will there be a maximum number of times you can switch dimensions in a given level? Or maybe you just get more points the less switches you use? That save system will also be welcome, but maybe they should be limited too?
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

PolyVox wrote:Great stuff, nikki. Looks like it's coming together ncely.
:D
PolyVox wrote:The dimension idea is interesting - will there be a maximum number of times you can switch dimensions in a given level? Or maybe you just get more points the less switches you use?
Nah, it's free. You can switch whenever you want, how many ever times you want. You can even do the whole level in the other dimension if you please (of course, it has to be possible to do so, generally the levels are such that you have to switch dimensions a lot to get around). Think of it like the portal gun in Valve. AFAIK, it's unlimited in it's use, but still there are some great puzzles they made with it. The same with the dimension system. There're a lot of cool puzzles possible, everything's dimension-enabled, the switches, moving platforms, everything. And now I'm gonna get busy with schoolwork again (argh) so I can think of some puzzle ideas while studying. :P
PolyVox wrote:That save system will also be welcome, but maybe they should be limited too?
Sure, once you use a Checkpoint, it turns red, and you can't use it again. Don't worry, I'll try to place them in proper places in the levels. If you want to redo some part, then you can choose to not load from the Checkpoint, but from the start of the level, in the level-select menu.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

New screenshots (from GraLL 2):-

The 'glow buffer':-

Didn't get much done this week due to exams, but now they're over, and it's coding time. 8)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Some new videos (well, the second one is quite old actually, I just forgot to put it up here:-

Scripting Fun

Teleporters

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Cool-ness, Nikki! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
waf
Gnoblar

Post by waf »

Very nice, I like the way the alternate dimension looks. After watching demo video 2, though, I really want to play Splinter Cell :D
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Thanks for the compliments guys! :D There's another video I made with some more dimension-fun, it's quite big though, it'll take a long time to upload. I'll let it go overnight.

EDIT: Ok, now GraLL 2 has its own topic! Check it out here.