VB Middle School

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
rchadwick
Halfling

VB Middle School

Post by rchadwick »

Hey, just wanted to show off some work my company is doing for a local architect. This is the new Virginia Beach Middle School. The model is about 300k polys in 1000 objects, all lightmapped with AO baked out of Brazil 2. Rendered with custom HDR post, and a tree system which statically lights billboards to simulate foliage. Runs at about 60 fps on a geforce 7900.

Last edited by rchadwick on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

Very nice :).
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Very nice work, good to see Ogre being used for some architectural vis. If you can though, please embed the images in the thread, ImageShack lets you do this for example.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Looks impressive :) Good job!
rchadwick
Halfling

Imageshack

Post by rchadwick »

Ah, there we go. Image shack is a much better solution.

Let me take a moment to thank the team members for such an amazing product. I've had a hand at a few 3d tools, but OGRE is just the right solution.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Virtual Sciences is a small company I joined about a year ago. We do arch viz in 3DSMax, but I've been pushing to make an interactive viewer application part of our business model. The company has been trying to move in this direction for a while, but it was kind of all artists, no programmers. Theres all sorts of opportunity for comedy there. I've put together an engine with OGRE, Newton, CEgui, OpenAL, a bunch of shaders and some custom io. The issue is that we need to use the existing assets we have for the architecture. Currently, we ship is app to clients with very simple models, and they can mark up the image with some drawing tools. I'll post a shot with the markups working in another thread. Once in a while we get to do something fun, like this peice. I may make the whole app public soon, with a few models you can load up and play with.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

That app sounds like an important asset for the company. Though a lot of people would benefit from it being public, I think that releasing it so soon would hurt the company :? But just my opinion.

Awesome pics anyways :D
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

Lovely shots,

I know its unlikely, but I'd love to see your foliage leaves shader, am just struggling with exactly this problem at the moment.

great work :)
Was here
hangchon18
Halfling

Post by hangchon18 »

Looking exceptional forword ...
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

The little light-green trees look pretty rough, but the rest looks great!
rchadwick
Halfling

Trees

Post by rchadwick »

Yeah, the little trees are just billboards, and they need a lot of work. I'd rather not release the system any time soon - its 85% bug, and poorly thought out in many places.
Edman
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Hey!

Post by Edman »

Looks really great :D I like every bit of it!
"Threehandled Mosscovered Gredunza"
rchadwick
Halfling

Leaves

Post by rchadwick »

As to the leaf shader, I'm not using a shader at all. Just alpha rejection on the planes. The trick is to set the Billboard color value, so you can approximate the lighting. I also assume the canopy is a sphere, so that I can guess the normal for the billboard and run the lighting on the cpu.