AmiOgre - Port of Ogre to the Amiga. Now with Video!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

AmiOgre - Port of Ogre to the Amiga. Now with Video!

Post by betajaen »

Amiga? Isn't that the Spanish word for Lady?

Yes it is.

It's also an awesome 24-bit computer, made in the 80s and 90s. Which I grew up on. They also outperformed the PC and Mac in graphical and audio abilities. They were used in many film studios due to being cheap and its ease of use with video editing. It also has an operating system that is better than Windows, Linux or OSX.

Screenshots and Videos
amiogre1.png
Video coming soon, once I get my video recorder and capture card working!

Features

This is a port of Ogre 1.7 to the Amiga computer. It uses the OpenGL StormMesa library, which requires an Amiga 3D graphics card and/or Power PC/680x0 accelerator card with at least 64 megs of RAM. It can run through an emulator like in the screenshot with AmigaForever or UAE, providing you have a legal copy of the Amiga Kickstart to run it with.

It is a first release, and can only do some of the samples, as I'm getting a lot of bugs and problems with the others.
  • Skybox
  • SkyDome
  • SkyPlane
  • CameraTrack
Due to the age of the technology, a typical hardware Amiga will only get frame rates between the single and low double digits. Using JIT emulation you can achieve more, but by that not much, and of course shaders and other complicated materials aren't possible to do.

I'm throwing away my PC, and booting up Workbench!

I'll be releasing the source code shortly, but you can get the binaries now.

Available at my Github page here.

https://github.com/betajaen/AmiOgre
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: AmiOgre - Port of Ogre to the Amiga

Post by betajaen »

Managed to get it working on my A1200.
amiga2.jpg
There are still some issues with texture loading, it won't load all the textures for some reason. But I'll release the source code on Sunday.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I should dig out my a1200, or wait for my pandora to arrive. :)
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

That's my new A1200, with all the bits and pieces I dreamed of when I was younger. Even though the addon hardware is rare, it's still cheaper than they were new. If I don't run it on the actual machine but in an emulator - I feel guilty. ;)
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Another awesome project :)
It's also an awesome 24-bit computer, made in the 80s and 90s. Which I grew up on. They also outperformed the PC and Mac in graphical and audio abilities. They were used in many film studios due to being cheap and its ease of use with video editing. It also has an operating system that is better than Windows, Linux or OSX.
So true, and then came Bill Gates and together with Commodores total mismanagement they just set the whole computer industry 15 years back... I deeeply loved my A1000, disk bootable OS, 2 button mouse, 4096 colors, and 100% real multitasking 1986? while everyone else was still dabling with 256 and the joke of windows 3.1 and zero multitasking 8 years years later for almost 10 times the price, looking at high end pcs back then. I never forget when I first switched it on and loaded stuff like Mindwalker. I think the first 3D game I ever played. <3 Omg, I been working 6 weeks summer holidays through to be able to afford the 2MB extra memory. Still regret that I sold it.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I was a little doubtful, but I grabbed the files from github and with a drop in res/colours I was able to get it running on my A500! (The A1200 isn't in a runnable state right now, need to find where I left it's hard drive).

betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I don't believe you! My 1200 has a PPC card in it, and it's struggling to get 7 FPS. Ogre on a stock A500 - no chance.

Your a phoney! A great big phoney! :D

[Edit]

Aha! The image has been photoshopped. Your worse FPS is 13, which more than your average FPS which is 7.7!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

That's 1.3, not 13.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Bah!

Still not convinced. I just don't see how it could even load the binaries into memory, let alone render it all. You installed the OpenGL Amiga libraries from AmiNet right? Are you on Workbench 1.3? Or have you upgraded the ROMs. What about your trapdoor expansion? Obviously your running an accelerator card with at least 2 Megs of RAM in there.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Your first pic shows it running at 800x560 with a lot of colour and a best fps of 610.8.
As I said, mine dropped res (320x256) and colours (32).
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Fair enough then.

The Workbench screen is in that res, but it's running in the Window. On the 1200 I had it in 320x256 as well, it was in 256 colours. HAM-8 didn't seem to work then.
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Why OgreMain.library in your revision contains EXE "MZ" header? :D
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

It was compiled for the PPC. So I guess, Amiga PPC programs start with the MZ header.
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

I see the word microsoft in the file... explain that, please. Why would you put such a word into an amiga program? And not just once, but multiple times?
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

It uses some of the headers and libraries from AmigaBASIC, which I use for the setting up the Window and getting input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaBASIC
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Okay... how about the reference to NxOgre.dll? You ported NxOgre.dll to Amiga too? This is seriously cool. I have been trying to find a reason to buy myself an Amiga and now I have it. I played Amiga games at my friend's place in the late 80s and early 90s. Thank you, you are my hero.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

It was in my working directory. Must of gotten included for some reason.

You don't need Ogre to buy an Amiga. The Amiga itself has it's own merits. Just buy it for Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings 2, the best games ever made.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

It's been a long time since I played with amiga basic (microsoft's attempt at sabotaging the amiga). Once I switched to Amos I never looked back. All my coding was done in Amos, C, E or assembly (plus tons of other languages for fun, but those were my serious languages).
Just buy it for Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings 2, the best games ever made.
Seems you made a typo there and accidentally wrote Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings 2 instead of Frontier Elite 2 and Dungeon Master.
:)
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I learned how to program in BBC BASIC. Then developed my skills in all of the AMOSes, I still even have the manuals. Eventually, I learned how to program correctly in C++ when I was first introduced to Ogre. I do wish I could of learned C on the Amiga though, I think I would of add more fun.

I didn't misspell Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings 2. You have sir.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I didn't misspell Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings 2. You have sir.
Nope, you did it again. Must be your keyboard.

I learnt C on the amiga. Good old Lattice C.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Monkey Island 2
Lemmings 2

Nope, Keyboard is working perfectly.

I remember "E" on the Amiga. I had a free compiler from a cover disk from CU Amiga. I never understood it at the time. Looking briefly at it now, it looks quite intresting. AMOS was my bread and butter though, I even wrote a Widget/Window system in it.
dragutux
Halfling

Post by dragutux »

sorry to be a downer betajean... but why don't you focus on completing documentation & samples for nxogre ?
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

I went from AMOS Basic to Assembly using DevPac. THIS DIDN'T WORK ;) I ran screaming back to basic like a little girl and didn't approach any 'real' language for about 15 years.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: AmiOgre - Port of Ogre to the Amiga. Now with Video!

Post by betajaen »

Sorry guys who thought this was real, it isn't.

Although I'm sure with enough effort and skill, Ogre could be ported to the Amiga. It would only be runnable on the newer G4 based Amigas and not the classics - but that's just cheating. :D
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: AmiOgre - Port of Ogre to the Amiga. Now with Video!

Post by Kojack »

E was created by Wouter van Oortmerssen, who is better known these days as the creator of Fisheye Quake, Cube, Sauerbraten and worked on Farcry (scripting and networking).
It was my first OO language, I didn't learn C++ until years later.

Oh, and I can now point out that you probably couldn't be using amiga basic libs with your program, since amiga basic didn't work on cpus above 68000 or on workbench 2 or above. :)

Argh, I hated amiga basic's error checking. At the end of every line when you press enter, it checked the line for problems. If it found one it beeped, flashed the screen, locked up for a second or so, displayed an error dialog, then locked up again. EVERY TIME A LINE HAD AN ERROR!
I guess it made people learn to not make mistakes, but within a few weeks of getting an amiga I got so sick of it that I learnt C (not hard, since by then I already knew basic (trs-80, c64, amiga), forth, logo, 6809 assembly, 6502 assembly).

For amiga fans, here's the pandora handheld running near flawless amiga emulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5GjsUIoKLQ