GTA IV coming to PC ... finally!

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

GTA IV coming to PC ... finally!

Post by SpannerMan »

I just got an email alert from Rockstar:
We are proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto IV will be arriving for the platform it was birthed on this November. Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC will feature everything from the acclaimed original console releases, along with newly expanded multiplayer just for the PC and more.

Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC debuts on November 18th in North America and on November 21st in Europe.
Yaaay :D

Ive been hooked since Vice City, and have been looking forward to this one for ages. I think one console (Wii) in the house is enough, so Im glad they havent ignored the PC.

Saying that, it looks like the new Mafia (coming to PC first) is going to be a GTA beater.
milliams
Gremlin

Post by milliams »

I knew it would only be a matter time but I'm happy they've finally confirmed it. It's a definite buy for me. As for Mafia II, the first one was truly fantastic, certainly better than Vice City. I'm probably looking forward to Mafia II more out of the two.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Finally! :D
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Anyone else found the Games For Windows Live crap that you have to install along with GTA4 annoying?

I've had to create a Rockstar Social Club account, AND a Games For Windows Live account, because the game WONT SAVE MY PROGRESS UNLESS I AM LOGGED IN!!

But guess what, I cant login because it is not the latest version of GFWL - but when I select OK to update GFWL it hangs and then crashes!

Its a known bug! I've had to search around and find the update to download and install manually! And look what they have the cheek to say on their web page: ""All of this is possible today and at no charge."

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/GFWLupdate/

Really? I can manually install this patch so I can save my progress in a game that I have ALREADY JUST PAID FOR?!!?! GRRRRRRRRRRR
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

SpannerMan wrote:I've had to create a Rockstar Social Club account, AND a Games For Windows Live account, because the game WONT SAVE MY PROGRESS UNLESS I AM LOGGED IN!!
Sry, but that's wrong, you can also create an offline GFWL account on your computer only and use that to save/load normally. (that's what I did)

cheers
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Doh!! Man, that would have saved me some arsing about.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

SpannerMan wrote:"All of this is possible today and at no charge."

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/GFWLupdate/

Really? I can manually install this patch so I can save my progress in a game that I have ALREADY JUST PAID FOR?!!?! GRRRRRRRRRRR
Heh, yeah that is pretty funny. In a throw your computer through the window kind of way.

I recently had a lot of trouble getting Spore to run on my machine. Earlier today I was talking with a friend who keeps getting an unhandled exception crash in Call of Duty 5 (PC), apparently a widespread problem for many people.

I understand that PC games have to deal with a huge range of computer configurations. Still, it surprises me when even the biggest game studios still can't get this right.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I had several games I couldn't run recently (2 days ago). They all just crashed either during loading or when the menu should come up. Turns out it was because I forgot that during some testing I'd turned directx to debug mode and enabled "break on error". Well, it did as requested, it broke on errors. I flipped it back to retail runtimes and they all worked fine.

I was interested in GTA 4 on pc (being a massive fan of pc versions of gta 3, vice city and san andreas, and not owning a console), but the launch has been so poor I don't want to even touch it now.
I'm going to wait for the pc version of Saints Row 2 instead (about 3 weeks), and in the mean time I'll replay Total Overdose a few more times. :)