[2.1] How to understand Sample_TutorialCompute01_UavT

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
123iamking
Gremlin

[2.1] How to understand Sample_TutorialCompute01_UavT

Post by 123iamking »

I take a look at Sample_TutorialCompute01_UavTexture, and I see that the code is nothing special, just show a cube (correct me if I'm wrong), the special thing here is its resource.
Note: I'm very new to Graphic programming :cry:

Currently, I only care about DirectX, so I only need to care about folder HLSL instead of GLSL and Metal. So let's skip these 2 folders.

I see that this Sample use the following folder

Code: Select all

..\Samples\Media\Hlms
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\TutorialCompute01_UavTexture
Folder ..\Samples\Media\Hlms: There are a lot of files and subfolders, I don't know what this folder does.
Folder ..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common. The sample only uses these files:

..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common\Copyback.material
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common\Quad.program
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common\HLSL\Copyback_4xFP32_ps.hlsl
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\Common\HLSL\Quad_vs.hlsl
Folder ..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\TutorialCompute01_UavTexture. The sample only uses these files:

..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\TutorialCompute01_UavTexture\Compute.compositor
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\TutorialCompute01_UavTexture\ComputeJobs.material.json
..\Samples\Media\2.0\scripts\materials\TutorialCompute01_UavTexture\HLSL\ComputeTest.hlsl
So there are the file types: compositor, json, hlsl, program, material. I don't know if these files are generated by some tools or written by bare hand.
I have read about compositor. and material file is a file to tell the mesh where its texture. hlsl is a file to code on GPU - but I really don't know how to debug this file. Now I don't know where to start with these files. Please help me.

Thanks for reading :)