add physic for an Ogre's complex shape

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
123iamking
Gremlin

add physic for an Ogre's complex shape

Post by 123iamking »

I'm new to both Bullet and Ogre 2.1, so I can't imagine how to add physic (I guess it's called Rigid body) to an Ogre's complex shape (I guess it's called Mesh).
I have read this question and I guess it likes:
step 1: Get the axis-aligned bounding box for this mesh.
step 2: Create Bullet's rigid body for this axis-aligned bounding box.

But if I do it like this, the physic matches with the box (which surrounds the complex shape), not the complex shape.
Also what if I want to add physic for the terrain (terrain has mountains, crack,...), how can I do that?
123iamking
Gremlin

Re: add physic for an Ogre's complex shape

Post by 123iamking »

mmm... I think Bullet's official examples should cover this, so I think it's time I dig the Bullet examples source code now :)
Hrenli
Halfling

Post by Hrenli »

In any case, your physics (bullet) representation of an object will be separate from what is rendered by Ogre. And as they are separate, they don't have to be exactly the same (also don't forget that bullet has it's own limitation on collision precision). In general you want your bullet collision shapes as simple as possible for performance/simplicity reasons but still resembling the object you are modeling. For example, a capsule is often used as a collision shape for humanoids in general and player character in particular. Or you might add a convex hull for different parts of your humanoid and track them separately. Or something else. It all depends on what exactly you need/want, what kind of objects are interacting in your program etc.

Bullet supports tri-meshes as an option for a possible collision shape and that might look like a straightforward answer for your question. And sometimes they are the best or the only viable option (f.e. terrain). But other times you are better off with something more simple.
hedphelym
Gremlin

Post by hedphelym »

Also check out this thread:

"BtOgre21, forked for Ogre 2.1that uses Item. + debug drawer"
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92567
123iamking
Gremlin

Post by 123iamking »

Thanks for your answers :) I find them very useful.
btOgre2.1 provide class StaticMeshToShapeConverter to create physic shape for Ogre's item. But I can't find a way to create physic shape for Ogre 2.1 terrain. I think there must be a way to get information from the Ogre terrain so that we can form the physic shape with bullet's btBvhTriangleMeshShape.
I took a look at this article, but this is the Ogre 1.x terrain, not Ogre 2.1's terrain.
Hrenli
Halfling

Post by Hrenli »

Technically Ogre's terrain is build over a heightmap. Bullet (IIRC) has a method of creating a shape from a heightmap (I have not tried it though). And it should not be hard to generate a tri-mesh from a heightmap by the code either.

Another question is how much of your terrain you want to be represented in bullet at runtime. If your scene is big you probably don't want it all processed at the same time, only the part(s) where something is happening.
123iamking
Gremlin

Post by 123iamking »

Hrenli wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm Another question is how much of your terrain you want to be represented in bullet at runtime. If your scene is big you probably don't want it all processed at the same time, only the part(s) where something is happening.
Wow, I didn't know that is possible with Bullet :D I must find out how to do that! I want the Bullet & Ogre match with each other.

Edit: I have tried this

Code: Select all

float terraSize = 10.0f;
		float terraHeight = 10.0f;
		mTerra->load("Heightmap.png", Ogre::Vector3(64.0f, 4096.0f * 0.5f, 64.0f), Ogre::Vector3(size, terraHeight, size));

btHeightfieldTerrainShape* pPhysTerrain = new btHeightfieldTerrainShape(mTerra->m_width, mTerra->m_depth, &mTerra->m_heightMap[0], terraHeight, 1, true, true); //m_width, m_depth, m_heightMap --> change from private to public

//Create the Body.
		btRigidBody* pGroundRigid = new btRigidBody(0, nullptr, pPhysTerrain, btVector3(0, 0, 0));
		m_dynamicsWorld->addRigidBody(pGroundRigid);
And the result is a nightmare, it's memory leak like hell.
First time, when I set terraSize & terraSize = 14096.0f, my PC freeze, the speaker goes crazy. After force shut down my PC, I set terraSize & terraSize = 10.0f and I see that the memory usage quickly increase by GBs. This terrain stuff is crazy!!!
Last edited by 123iamking on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
123iamking
Gremlin

Post by 123iamking »

Hrenli wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:56 pm Technically Ogre's terrain is build over a heightmap. Bullet (IIRC) has a method of creating a shape from a heightmap (I have not tried it though). And it should not be hard to generate a tri-mesh from a heightmap by the code either.
But another thought, If Ogre already read heightmap and & load it into memory, don't you think it will be more efficient to read data from Ogre instead of load the heightmap again from disk?
Hrenli
Halfling

Post by Hrenli »

123iamking wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 am But another thought, If Ogre already read heightmap and & load it into memory, don't you think it will be more efficient to read data from Ogre instead of load the heightmap again from disk?
I am far from being an expert, especially in Ogre's Terra, but I think it's all sits in videocard memory (probably as a texture). I don't think it's easy (or even viable idea at all) to make bullet work against a texture in vedeo memory directly. So it has to be separate. Especially if you consider multithreading (which you should).

If terrain size is an issue you should think about loading/unloading only part of it at the time. Both for visual representation and physics.