Shadow improvements

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

areay
Bugbear

Re: Shadow improvements

Post by areay »

Thank you so much dark_sylinc. Going through the 1.10 -> 2.0 migration at the moment and can't wait to get the shadow stability improvements available in 2.1.
Feanor16
Halfling

Post by Feanor16 »

Where is the Shadows/ClearRegion material? i don't find it
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Feanor16 wrote:Where is the Shadows/ClearRegion material? i don't find it
?
I do not understand your question
farrer
Halfling

Post by farrer »

Integrated it to my project and so far as I tested everything is working just fine, specially point light shadows :D

You're the one dark_sylinc!

There was two things I needed to do to integrate (besides updating the hlms scripts):

1) Redefine my compositor to be like the one defined at ShadowMapDebugging.compositor

2) Define "Hlms/Pbs/Any" at the Library vector when creating the Ogre::HlmsPbs (as defined at Samples/2.0/Common/src/GraphicsSystem.cpp)

I've also copied the folder Samples/Media/2.0/scripts/materials/Common, based on this commit, but I'm not sure which are the necessary files or if any are necessary at all.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

farrer wrote:Integrated it to my project and so far as I tested everything is working just fine, specially point light shadows :D
Niiice!
You're the one dark_sylinc!
Thanks!
I've also copied the folder Samples/Media/2.0/scripts/materials/Common, based on this commit, but I'm not sure which are the necessary files or if any are necessary at all.
Yes, we use DPSM.material and all contained in it + its dependencies (i.e. in short: CubeToDpsm_ps & Quad_vs).

I added the whole folder because there's also other common functionality, for example Compute-based high quality mipmaps require the compute shader defined there. So it became more convenient to just include the whole folder (as long as "Common" doesn't become a huge bloated folder in the future).

Btw IMPORTANT: A user has reported Ogre is generating invalid shaders in certain cases. These cases are triggered if a spotlight is closer to the camera than a point light; since Ogre will try to put the spotlight first and then the point light afterwards, but the shader expects all point lights to come first, then all spotlights (it's an order issue).
I'll fix this bug soon.
Feanor16
Halfling

Post by Feanor16 »

dark_sylinc wrote:
Feanor16 wrote:Where is the Shadows/ClearRegion material? i don't find it
?
I do not understand your question
Well, i tried your compositor_node_shadow thinking it will maybe solve shadow bugs i have. But when applying yours, I have no shadows displaying. so I thought i miss materials like "Shadows/ClearRegion" or "dpsm/converter". but i don't find them. There must be a file of these materials, right? ( Or maybe i miss something? )
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Gotcha. The compositor script in the first post was a proposal. The final one is at Samples/Media/2.0/scripts/Compositors/ShadowMapDebugging.compositor in the v2-1-shadows-refactor branch.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I just pushed a fix to the bug where invalid shaders would be generated if a spotlight was closer to the camera than a point light.
Additionally, I encountered a bug with static shadow maps which I've fixed (with the compositor script we provided, mixing spotlights & pointlights would cause spotlight shadows not to show).
Feanor16
Halfling

Post by Feanor16 »

Oh ok! thank you for all
farrer
Halfling

Post by farrer »

Not sure if it's a bug or if it's me doing something wrong: On the compositors, I've used to define at the shadows render pass the render queues that should affect them, to avoid having GUI widgets interfering with the shadows, ie:

Code: Select all

shadow_map_target_type directional spot
{
   shadow_map 3 4
   {
      pass render_scene
      {
         rq_first  0
         rq_last 230
      }
   }
}
That's ok and working well. But when trying to do something similar to the render of point light's shadows, the first and last seems to be ignored and my widgets are affecting my shadows rendering (see the hand-made red circles of the affecting areas at the picture... moving the window will make easy to see those are generated from it):
(screenshot taken of OpenGL renderer on Linux)

Maybe I'm wrongly defining it for the point light shadows? This is my compositor (note that the widgets are rendered at the rq 240):

compositor_node DNTIndoorRenderingNode
{
   in 0 rt_renderwindow

target rt_renderwindow
   {
      pass clear
      {
         colour_value 0.0 0.0 0.0 1
      }

pass render_scene
      {
         shadows DNTIndoorShadowNode
      }
   }
}

abstract target cubemap_target_shadow
{
   pass clear { colour_value 1 1 1 1 }
   pass render_scene
   {
      camera_cubemap_reorient true
   }
}

compositor_node_shadow DNTIndoorShadowNode
{
   technique pssm

texture atlas 2048 7168 PF_D32_FLOAT no_fsaa
   texture tmpCubemap 1024 1024 PF_FLOAT32_R cubemap no_fsaa

num_splits     3
   pssm_lambda    0.95
   shadow_map 0 atlas uv 0.0 0.000000000000000 1.0 0.285714285714286 light 0 split 0
   shadow_map 1 atlas uv 0.0 0.285714285714286 0.5 0.142857142857143 light 0 split 1
   shadow_map 2 atlas uv 0.5 0.285714285714286 0.5 0.142857142857143 light 0 split 2

technique focused
   shadow_map 3 atlas uv 0.0 0.428571428571429 1.0 0.285714285714286 light 1
   shadow_map 4 atlas uv 0.0 0.714285714285714 1.0 0.285714285714286 light 2

target atlas
   {
      pass clear
      {
         colour_value 1 1 1 1
      }
   }

shadow_map_target_type directional
   {
      shadow_map 0 1 2
      {
         pass render_scene
         {
            rq_first  0
            rq_last 230
         }
      }
   }

{
      shadow_map 3 4
      {
         pass render_scene
         {
            rq_first  0
            rq_last 230
         }
      }
   }

shadow_map_target_type point
   {
      shadow_map_repeat 3 4
      {
         target tmpCubemap +X : cubemap_target_shadow {}
         target tmpCubemap -X : cubemap_target_shadow {}
         target tmpCubemap +Y : cubemap_target_shadow {}
         target tmpCubemap -Y : cubemap_target_shadow {}
         target tmpCubemap +Z : cubemap_target_shadow {}
         target tmpCubemap -Z : cubemap_target_shadow {}

shadow_map
         {
            pass render_quad
            {
               material Ogre/DPSM/CubeToDpsm
               input 0 tmpCubemap
               rq_first  0
               rq_last 230
            }
         }
      }
   }
}

workspace DNTIndoorWorkspace
{
   connect_output DNTIndoorRenderingNode 0
}

Thanks!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Yes, you're incorrectly defining your compositor.
Your RenderQueue setting should be in cubemap_target_shadow (or inside each target tmpCubemap +-XYZ : cubemap_target_shadow {} declaration).
You've placed it instead in the render_quad which is the last stage and does nothing there.
farrer
Halfling

Post by farrer »

dark_sylinc wrote:Yes, you're incorrectly defining your compositor.
Your RenderQueue setting should be in cubemap_target_shadow (or inside each target tmpCubemap +-XYZ : cubemap_target_shadow {} declaration).
You've placed it instead in the render_quad which is the last stage and does nothing there.
Many thanks! It was that! (sometimes it's so hard to see something so trivial :shock:)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

This was just merged in:
Exponential Shadow Maps, which is basically soft shadows. The technique overall is much more expensive. However, what's great about this technique is that you can lower the resolution and it still looks great (it makes the shadows blurrier); while giving you more performance. I'm also using 2 PSSM splits instead of 3.

This is the same screenshot but with half the resolution of the above one (may shimmer a little more when the camera & objects) moves: Integration should be straightforward. Use the ESM's shadow node, make sure you include the resources from Samples/Media/2.0/scripts/materials/Common, add some C++ code to handle older GPUs (the ones who don't have a compute shader) you can copy from the demo, and tell HlmsPbs to use ESM. You can also tweak the radius and distribution of the gaussian filter.

There is yet a parameter that cannot be tweaked ('K') but soon will be.

The technique is great for indoor shadows, soft shadows, and has now shadow acne (hence no need for biasing at all). However there are a few edge cases I will talk about later (I am too tired right now) where the technique fails.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

:D
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

woooo so pretty!! got to test it right now!
Edit: just built the sample and its looking reeaaally good! the only weird thing I noticed is that the shadow grow/dilate compared to the pcf ones, not a real problem really
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Pull again, I've fixed that. How much they dilate can be controlled now via setGaussianLogFilterParams's K parameter. Please read the docs to understand the pros & cons of doing that (most likely you'll end up tweaking that value until it goods the way you like it and will only touch it again if you run into an edge case where the shadow overall looks bad: not blurred at all, really aliased; or too blurry it's barely a shadow).

I've tweaked the default parameters so that it can adapt to most conditions (particularly extreme edge cases where it looked really bad), instead of failing miserably :lol:
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

If not already noticed the HdrWorkspaceMsaa compositor is not working, see;
https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/commi ... nt-4575133
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Thanks! Pushed a fix.
0xC0DEFACE
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by 0xC0DEFACE »

omg, its what ive always wanted. Ill have to update to the latest to have a play :D

Great work Matias!
white_waluigi
Goblin

Post by white_waluigi »

Hey I'm currently trying to integrate the new shadow system with HLMS_DS and I'm trying to figure out which part of the HLMS_PBS Shader handels shadows and more specifically where the shadow samplers are declared, so I can figure out how to make the new shaders work. Also Is there now a way to dynamically allocate and deallocate shadow cqasting lights? Because that might be very usefull for dynamically loading levels.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

white_waluigi wrote:Hey I'm currently trying to integrate the new shadow system with HLMS_DS and I'm trying to figure out which part of the HLMS_PBS Shader handels shadows and more specifically where the shadow samplers are declared, so I can figure out how to make the new shaders work.
In shader code it's in Samples/Media/Hlms/Pbs/Any/ShadowMapping_piece_ps.any line 111 (GLSL), 124 & 126 (HLSL) and 140 (Metal).
The language specific shaders only have to do:

@insertpiece( DeclShadowMapMacros )
@insertpiece( DeclShadowSamplers )
white_waluigi wrote:Also Is there now a way to dynamically allocate and deallocate shadow cqasting lights? Because that might be very usefull for dynamically loading levels.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What do you want to do? How do you expect it to work?
white_waluigi
Goblin

Post by white_waluigi »

Its okay I'll just look at your code, I'll figure it out
hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

Would it be easy to integrate the new awesome shadow into a custom HLMS implementation?
My HLMS is screaming for it. :D
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I'd like to think it's easy to integrate. In fact the shadow code has been modularized by being moved from the main templates into its own ShadowMapping_piece_ps.any & ShadowMapping_piece_vs.any files.

The major changes:
  • Add "Any" folder to the template library when initializing HlmsPbs, so the shadow mapping code gets parsed.
  • texShadowMap[N]; is no longer an array. It's now several variables: texShadowMap0, texShadowMap1, ... texShadowMapN. This is for compatibility with Metal. This change mostly affects C++ code for GL3+ (since C++ sets the texture unit binding points of the variables)
  • Definitions in shader code of samplers, getShadow have been replaced by insertpiece statements (actual locations may vary a little between HLSL, GLSL & Metal):

@insertpiece( DeclShadowMapMacros )
    @insertpiece( DeclShadowSamplers )
    @insertpiece( DeclShadowSamplingFuncs )
  • PSSM & directional shadow map code has been moved out of the template, so all you need to do is "@insertpiece( DoDirectionalShadowMaps )"
  • Point lights had a "@insertpiece( DarkenWithShadow )" in their calculations. Now they need a "@insertpiece( DarkenWithShadowPoint )" since they have a different treatment
  • struct ShadowReceiverData now defines a variable "vec4 texViewZRow;"
  • Some languages had "passBuf" as variable for per-pass const buffers; others had "pass". It has been standardized to "passBuf" (since pass is a reserved keyword in HLSL)
  • Vertex shader has been moved out of the main template. All you need to do is:

@insertpiece( DoShadowReceiveVS )
    @insertpiece( DoShadowCasterVS )
  • CrossPlatformSettings_piece_all & RenderDepthOnly_piece_ps have changed slightly. Make sure your code adapt to these new changes.
  • C++ side preparePassHash has changed to account for the new variables and for the fact that lights may now share the same shadow map. The changes are very straightforward
If in doubt of a detail, do what I do when I port my changes from GLSL to HLSL (or viceversa): take the repo to a commit before all the changes; paste over the new shader templates; and use your favourite diff tool to walk through each change to understand what's different (also do that with OgreHlmsPbs.cpp as well).
SolarPortal
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by SolarPortal »

Hi, First off, great work on the recent changes to 2.1 branch! Point light shadows are amazing!

I have noticed a slight problem with atlased shadowmaps though and are wondering if you could help out.
What i am trying to achieve is a fill a 4096x8192 texture with as many shadows as possible ranging from 1024 to 2048 resolutions and including the pssm splits as you have in other compositor examples.
So 4096 will give me 2 columns of 2048 and 4 columns of 1024.

Here is an image of what we are trying to accomplish in the exact resolution of the texture (it is 4096x8192, so you may need to download and view it too get a good idea):
http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/downloads ... _Altas.png

but for previewing on the forum, here is a downscaled resolution:
ShadowMapDisplayWorkout_LOWREZ_Altas.png
To show the problem we are having with a shadow texture that starts 0.5 across in the image(red square), here it is:
BrokenAtlasShadow.jpg
Here is the compositor node for the shadow node: I left in the extra textures as the more you add, the wierder the results get with overlapping shadows, missing shadows and eventually the PSSM splits disappearing:

abstract target cubemap_target_shadow
{
	pass clear { colour_value 1 1 1 1 }
	pass render_scene
	{
		camera_cubemap_reorient true
	}
}

compositor_node_shadow ShadowMapNode_HIGH_NoStatic
{
	technique pssm

texture atlas 4096 8192 PF_D32_FLOAT no_fsaa
	texture tmpCubemap 1024 1024 PF_FLOAT32_R cubemap no_fsaa

num_splits		3
	pssm_lambda		0.95
	// Split1 = 2048 - Split 2&3 = 1024
	shadow_map 0 atlas uv 0.0 0.0 0.5 0.25 light 0 split 0
	shadow_map 1 atlas uv 0.0 0.25 0.25 0.125 light 0 split 1
	shadow_map 2 atlas uv 0.25 0.25 0.25 0.125 light 0 split 2

technique focused
	// 2048 shadows
	shadow_map 3 atlas uv 0.0 0.375 0.5 0.25 light 1
	shadow_map 4 atlas uv 0.0 0.625 0.5 0.25 light 2

// From here on shadows do not render correctly and eventually even the PSSM loses its splits.
	shadow_map 5 atlas uv 0.5 0.0 1.0 0.25 light 3  // Only displays half a shadow as if the 0.5 is clipping
	//shadow_map 6 atlas uv 0.5 0.375 1.0 0.25 light 4
	//shadow_map 7 atlas uv 0.5 0.625 1.0 0.25 light 5

// 1024 shadows - Fill in the gaps to get more shadows.
	//shadow_map 8 atlas uv 0.5 0.25 0.75 0.125 light 6
	//shadow_map 9 atlas uv 0.75 0.25 1.0 0.125 light 7
	//shadow_map 10 atlas uv 0.0 0.875 0.25 0.125 light 8
	//shadow_map 11 atlas uv 0.25 0.875 0.5 0.125 light 9
	//shadow_map 12 atlas uv 0.5 0.875 0.75 0.125 light 10
	//shadow_map 13 atlas uv 0.75 0.875 1.0 0.125 light 11

target atlas
	{
		pass clear
		{
			colour_value 1 1 1 1
		}
	}

shadow_map_target_type directional
	{
		shadow_map 0 1 2
		{
			pass render_scene
			{
			}
		}
	}

{
		shadow_map 3 4 5 //6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
		{
			pass render_scene
			{
			}
		}
	}

shadow_map_target_type point
	{
		shadow_map_repeat 3 4 5 //6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
		{
			target tmpCubemap +X : cubemap_target_shadow {}
			target tmpCubemap -X : cubemap_target_shadow {}
			target tmpCubemap +Y : cubemap_target_shadow {}
			target tmpCubemap -Y : cubemap_target_shadow {}
			target tmpCubemap +Z : cubemap_target_shadow {}
			target tmpCubemap -Z : cubemap_target_shadow {}

shadow_map
			{
				pass render_quad
				{
					material Ogre/DPSM/CubeToDpsm
					input 0 tmpCubemap
				}
			}
		}
	}
}
So the question is, are we missing anything or breaking the rules of how the atlases work on the new shadow system. For focused shadows, does the texture have to span 0.0 to 1.0 on the X axis.
Is there any advice or help you can offer @dark_sylinc

Thanks for the help and time :)
Lead developer of the Skyline Game Engine: https://aurasoft-skyline.co.uk