What is using Ogre 2.1 (DirectX 11) in DirectX 9 Way?

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

123iamking
Gremlin

What is using Ogre 2.1 (DirectX 11) in DirectX 9 Way?

Post by 123iamking »

I remember I read it on one topic (can't remember which one) that dark_sylinc once said (if I remember correctly) the porting from Ogre 1.x (DirectX 9) to Ogre 2.1 (DirectX 11) may not improve performance because the Game still renders in DirectX 9 way. I'm confused about render DirectX 9 & DirectX 11 way. I used to think all these render way may hidden under the Graphic Engine and client code won't aware of this.

Please explain for me about this. Thanks.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: What is using Ogre 2.1 (DirectX 11) in DirectX 9 Way?

Post by dark_sylinc »

Errr, I think it's being twisted. But without the actual post it's hard to explain.

I probably would have said that an engine that is just ported from DX9 to DX11 won't magically get better performance. Using DX11 API in a DX9-style for engines results in poor performance.

However Ogre 2.1 was a major rewrite of the rendering code, and thus Ogre 2.1 renders in "DX11-style" while using DX11. There is little or nothing left that works in a DX9-way in Ogre 2.1; and Ogre 2.1 indeed hides these details from you so you don't have to care about that.

A few games in Ogre 1.x abused the listeners Ogre provided, and thus tried to do a lot of rendering by themselves, by passing Ogre. Those games would have a harder time porting to 2.1. But certainly a non-issue if you're beginning from scratch.

Without the actual post, I cannot further clarify.