VSync unsupported in GLX?

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

VSync unsupported in GLX?

Post by DWORD »

Hello,

Much to my surprise I just discovered that vsync is not supported in the GLX render system, or at least I coulnd't find any trace of it in the source code. Is there any special reason for this omission?

I know I can of course set it up in nvidia-settings or the like, but it would be nice to have as an option when configuring Ogre.

Unfortunately I don't know much about using OpenGL in Linux, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. But does anyone know whether it is because it's not possible to set this from within an application, or does anyone have any pointers on how this could be implemented?

Edit: Oh, I see Felix Bellaby has made an entire new GLX render system, which should support vsync. What's the status on that, is it scheduled for inclusion? I think it may be a bit overkill for my simple needs to replace the whole render system. I probably should be helping out with testing, then... :)
sparkprime
Ogre Magi

Post by sparkprime »

I usually enable vsync with __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 but this is a pain because you have to restart the app.

Testing out the new GLX rendersystem is pretty high on my list of priorities, but my ogre source tree is all mangled because of changes i've been making to the resource system, including GLTexture, so I thought it best to wait :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yes, I'd like other people to help test the new GLX patch. I have an Ubuntu machine I can test on now, but I don't use it that often so people with greater Linux needs than me should be bashing on it to make sure its ok. :) I'm going to be careful before applying this one since last time we upgraded GLX it broke a whole swathe of machines that didn't support the newer GLX version it depended on.