Ogre on the PS1

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
gsmith5492
Gnoblar

Ogre on the PS1

Post by gsmith5492 »

i've just got ogre to run on my ps1.

But i was wondering if any had any ideas about the use for this, cos i did it over the weekend and now i'm kind of stuck. Thinking of maybe trying to get some game running on it but i don't know
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

Hehe, nice! :D

-psy
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

PS2 possible? Because I own one.
robp
Gnoblar

PS2 Linux

Post by robp »

if you own a PS2 Linux kit then it is very possible to adapt Ogre to the PS2.
The kits are sold out in N. America and most likely won't be sold again.
This is my signature
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

I have heared that there is still a set of tools, compiler & loaders freely available. I dont know how good they are.
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

alex
Kobold

Post by alex »

Funny you should mention this, since I've been wondering recently if it will be possible to use Ogre to construct console games, which can be distributed on a CD/DVD without the need for people to mod their machines... It might sound stupid but as far as programming consoles goes, I have no idea. But it is probably the way of the future considering how good some of the newer consoles are getting.
All projects on hold for the time being.
zarthrag
Greenskin

Post by zarthrag »

i've just got ogre to run on my ps1.
I still can't help but cringe at the thought...but I'm still curious. How fast is it? I assume you are using Opengl? Does everything "work"? And what about memory???
gsmith5492
Gnoblar

Post by gsmith5492 »

1#######
Last edited by gsmith5492 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsmith5492
Gnoblar

Ogre on the PS1

Post by gsmith5492 »

well, i got almost all of the demos to work correctly with some minor altering. The big problem was memory, the whole memory management in ogre had to be bypassed in favour for the PS1-SDK but i got it to work so thats cool, the frame rate is pants but i expected that really, i'm in the process of putting my Quake3 clone on the console next cos i just bought a keyboard and mouse for the ps1 :D so it should be fun. If anyone has any ideas of an actual project i could do with this or knows where is can purchase the PS2-SDK for less than the thousands sony wants i would like it
alex
Kobold

Post by alex »

Do a google for metrowerks codewarrior, they offer a 30 day trial of their playstation 2 development software... I'm on dial up so I haven't been able to download and use it, though.
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

I have no plans of trying to use PS1 or PS2 with Ogre, but I'd love to see some screenshots. Also, have you considered releasing the code you've used to get Ogre up and running on the PS1?
Noiprox
Halfling

Post by Noiprox »

Sorry, double post. This forum is very confused. I've had several internal errors already...
Last edited by Noiprox on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter Buys
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." - John Donne
Noiprox
Halfling

Post by Noiprox »

I think your best bet for PS2 would be to use PS2 Linux. You can get a PS2 hard disk by purchasing FFXI, although I haven't done so yet myself, so I don't what's involved in setting up PS2 Linux from scratch, or for that matter if it's even possible.
Last edited by Noiprox on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dieter Buys
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so." - John Donne
bad_camel
Halfling

Post by bad_camel »

Yes, if you can , please post a few photo shots!
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

alex wrote:Do a google for metrowerks codewarrior, they offer a 30 day trial of their playstation 2 development software... I'm on dial up so I haven't been able to download and use it, though.
I posted the direct link earlier in the thread :wink:
alex
Kobold

Post by alex »

D'oh, this is what happens when I skip over previously read posts late at night without re-reading them.

BTW I forgot to mention, nice work getting Ogre going on the PS1... As far as ideas for the use of it... well, I guess it would be an interesting learning experience, but I can't really see practical benefit from the exercise other than its novelty... Then again I might be wrong, you could start an underground gaming club dedicated to creating linux games specifically for consoles, a free or cheaper alternative to mainstream stuff perhaps. That would definately be interesting.

People still write games for neo-geo's and old nintendos, maybe if you can find such a group they would appreciate your findings.
Noiprox
Halfling

Post by Noiprox »

alex wrote:Then again I might be wrong, you could start an underground gaming club dedicated to creating linux games specifically for consoles, a free or cheaper alternative to mainstream stuff perhaps. That would definately be interesting.
Beyond clubs, there are already whole communities like this.
Dieter Buys
alex
Kobold

Post by alex »

Cheers for the heads up, I'll look into those communities. I remember a friend a while back got linux happening on his x-box, but doesn't really use it for anything more than keeping "backups" of hired games. Did I say that aloud?

At first glance there doesn't seem to be much activity in those communities regarding the actual making of games etc, they do seem to provide the tools to make it possible but I can't see it really being taken advantage of.

I guess having linux on a console would enable you to play all these wonderful half finished open source game projects around the place :)
Athiril
Gnoblar

Post by Athiril »

I'd like to see it on the Dreamcast, the video chip in the Dreamcast performs around the level of the Geforce 3/Geforce 2 GTS
Noiprox
Halfling

Post by Noiprox »

Indeed. There is little activity beyond "Cool, x on my PS2!". There has been a lukewarm response from console manufacturers on this so far. I'd like to see them take indie seriously, offering proper tools and support, and perhaps publishing opportunities for the best of the breed. Instead they have either condemned it and done everything in their power to kill it, or offered a Linux kit, and then limit the distribution of it, turning it into a rare collector's item anywhere outside of Japan.

-sigh-
Dieter Buys
cryingraven

Working on the XBOX

Post by cryingraven »

Hi there

I was planning to ask wether any of you would be able to convert ORGE to run on an XBOX and then got this thread. So, what do you say? Is anyone able to port this o the XBOX?

i have seen a couple of xbox sdk's around like the openXDK and some other smaller ones, but nothing that shows any real posibility of making games with.

Now to get ogre onto the XBOX... now that would be a dream come true! I am actually currently busy working on a title and my dream has always been to develop for a console so my button layout is based around the xbox control pad rather than my Mac's keyboard... lol.

Any info on this?... please?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

There has already been a port which MS objected to (we are not authorised middleware developers), so will never be in the core. But you can find it on Sourceforge.net, just use their search.
cryingraven

thanks

Post by cryingraven »

just found numerous other threads about xbox development also.

Thanks for the quick reply, tho :)
Will follow your advice and have a look there tomorrow when i get back in to class.

cheers