Ogre3D 2.1 ... totally confuzzled user

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
daikane
Gnoblar

Ogre3D 2.1 ... totally confuzzled user

Post by daikane »

Welp, after about 9 years I'm back and thought to give 2.1 a spin, but ... totally confuzzled and out of loop at thato. I managed to get Ogre3D 2.1 and whatnots that belong to it configured and compiled, but then came into complete halt. Back in the day, if I recon right, there was some functioning tutorial about how to set up an app to show something... but as far as I can see, there's no comprehensive "tutorial" for 2.1 out there? (Sure yea, there's these Samples stuff in the package, but I mean more ground to roots stuff that doesn't rely on any blackbox SdkSamples or somesuch...)
/// Dai Kane
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre3D 2.1 ... totally confuzzled user

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi!

Welcome back!

We have a series of not-blackbox samples (even tutorials) if you set OGRE_BUILD_SAMPLES2 in CMake.
This guide is not finished but may help you getting started: https://ogrecave.github.io/ogre/api/2.1 ... pOgre.html

Also try checking out the Ogre 2.1 FAQ
daikane
Gnoblar

Post by daikane »

Thank you!

However, SDL2... EmptyProject's cmake refuses to find it altho SDL2 was in the very same bunch with FreeImage and whatnot in OGREDEPS solution to be built and installed.
/// Dai Kane
hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

Another confusing user here.

I also found that Ogre 2.1 is hard to install/use comparing to Bullet, Eigen, Box2D, and Ogre 1.9,
and faced several difficulty related to Ogre (every version, but 2.1 a bit harder than 1.9).

First, I took 2-3 days just to make the Ogre demo works.
- Ex. SDL2 linker error, no rendering system to select, can't run at full screen. (more detail
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 74#p537712 )

After that, I have to refactor some code to update from 9-months-ago (this is just an example):-

Code: Select all

!retVal->pixelShader 
 to
 !retVal->pso.pixelShader 
^ I have to dig up and find the change in the Ogre Sample code. (got some headache)

Then, I got this error: -

11:39:56: GLSL compile log: 2147483648VertexShader_vs
0(92) : error C1043: size of dimension cannot be less than 1  
The line "92" is shifted by 43 lines from the "#if 0" debug print.

#if 0
	***	hlms_uv_count0	2
	***	texture_bind0	2
	***	hlms_uv_count	1
	***	PsoBlendblock	1
	***	glsl	635204550 .....
I love it, but I took 45 minutes to figure out the line-shift - the error is actually at line 92+43.
After an hour, using notepad++, I found that the cause hidden in "Structs_piece_vs_piece_ps.hlsl" :-

f3dGridHWW[@value( [b]hlms_forward3d[/b] )];  
 ... change to ...
float4 f3dGridHWW[@value([b] forward3d_num_slices[/b] )]; 

^ but how am I supposed to know?

----

My above problems are solved.
However, I still feel that there are obstacles in every step, and I took (too) much time to overcome each of them.
I lose self-confidence every time I touch Ogre.

Is it because
-- I have low experience in C++ / not a good learner.
-- There are some documents that I forget read (I have read "Ogre 2.0 Porting Manual").
-- I didn't stalk this forum frequently enough.
-- Ogre is not designed for a light-heart.
-- Ogre 2.1 is still not "official".
-- I used too advance feature. (custom HLMS implemention)
-- Bad luck.
-- I am a problem myself. (From many post, I think most Ogres forumers seem to not face such issues at all.)
???

On a good side, I found that Ogre code is well organized (thus, most problem can be solved just by looking at the code).
People are very nice, and I always got answer if I ask here.
It is still disgraceful for me to take several days just to update Ogre 2.1->2.1 newest.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

hyyou wrote:My above problems are solved.
However, I still feel that there are obstacles in every step, and I took (too) much time to overcome each of them.
I lose self-confidence every time I touch Ogre.

Is it because
-- I have low experience in C++ / not a good learner.
-- There are some documents that I forget read (I have read "Ogre 2.0 Porting Manual").
-- I didn't stalk this forum frequently enough.
-- Ogre is not designed for a light-heart.
-- Ogre 2.1 is still not "official".
-- I used too advance feature. (custom HLMS implemention)
-- Bad luck.
-- I am a problem myself. (From many post, I think most Ogres forumers seem to not face such issues at all.)
???.
i'd go with 4 ...Ogre is not designed for a light-heart.
but to be honest i did'nt deal much with other engines, i guess each has its faults and virtues.
being easy peasy walk in the park is definitely not one of ogre virtues, you start with a frustrating installation experience and from here things are starting to derail...
5 years later, you find yourself, still fighting in order to make your half-baked buggy engine production ready. :mrgreen:
i guess we are just not worthy of the mighty beast named OGRE. but i hope that we're slowly getting there :D
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos