OGRE software renderer plugin

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
osolizig
Halfling

OGRE software renderer plugin

Post by osolizig »

I am currently looking for Ogre developers, skilled in software 3D renderering engine design. I am the TZE (The Zeus Engine) admin and we are also trying to implent software renderer for Ogre. The thing is I am looking for a team (I cannot create something so huge by myself) for the renderer and also for the engine itself (we are 3 for now).
The idea to create a software renderer is quite simple. We will create a renderer that won't be super fast but will enable any computer to show Ogre scene. Because TZE is not only for games but also simulations, we could create non-realtime simulations with high precision calculations (64-bit) using the software renderer. I also hope the renderer will be quick enough for realtime but if it won't be it still won't be useless.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

You don't have to implement such a thing yourself. The following projects you can whack in easliy by altering one of the current rendersystems a bit (recognize it as another device?):

http://www.mesa3d.org/
Open source software GL implementation

http://sw-shader.sourceforge.net/main.html
Open source software dx9 implementation

The first focuses on precision and pixel correctness, the second on speed and realtime usability. You could even make it a choice :-)

I think swshader is most promising though. It'd be great to be able to develop high end 3d on (for example) a notebook without top-of-the-line GPU.
osolizig
Halfling

Post by osolizig »

Thanks:) I have overview the swShader and it is really good (at least they say so). We could even make plugins for both eventually (swShader + messa opengl). We just have to wait for the next swShader release (this one doesn't support everything). The messa shader can be used for non-realtime simulations. Thanks again