blender2ogre appreciation thread

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
loath
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

blender2ogre appreciation thread

Post by loath »

the blender2ogre exporter and documentation is pretty amazing. i'm able to export meshes + materials (via nodes) and even my animations work all on blender 2.92.

sooo... much appreciation to sercero and paroj and anyone else who made this work so well!
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: blender2ogre appreciation thread

Post by sercero »

I'm glad that someone finds it useful :D and thanks for the thread.

There is now a pull request to merge changes that incorporate the Kenshi Importer into blender2ogre, at least for the 2.7x branch.

For the 2.8+ (master) branch, that is still work in progress.

Of course the importer is now without its flaws, specially in regards to skeletons and animations.

There is also the issue of the importing of materials, the importing is as limited as the exporting.

If someone is interested about the lore, the importer dates back to the work done by Daniel Wickert (Haffax), but it has been improved over the years by different people.
loath
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by loath »

what features are (eventually) coming over from kenshi?

did you make the 2.7x to 2.8+ port of the script?

this is amazing, thanks for the hard work!
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

loath wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm did you make the 2.7x to 2.8+ port of the script?
this was a real community effort actually:
- the initial port was done by MrApplejuice: https://github.com/OGRECave/blender2ogre/pull/34
- textures were later added by Grodou: https://github.com/OGRECave/blender2ogre/pull/48
- I did some fixup on the Blender Nodes to Ogre FFP front

and then sercero joined in and started adding new features and improving usability for both 2.7 and 2.8+ branches:
https://www.ogre3d.org/2021/04/21/ogre- ... ender2ogre
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

loath wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm what features are (eventually) coming over from kenshi?
We incorporated the importing functionality from the Kenshi Importer, it was just a matter of integrating the importer into the blender2ogre infrastructure.
That importer actually dates back to the one made by Daniel Wickert (Haffax) in 2005 with later modifications made by liyonghelpme to add skeleton and animation importing. There were many contributions from many people, there is a long changelist in the importer.py
loath wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm did you make the 2.7x to 2.8+ port of the script?
No, as @paroj said that was made by other people, I prefer Blender 2.79b :P
loath wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm this is amazing, thanks for the hard work!
No problem :wink: