Game engines on Steam: The definitive breakdown

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
suny
Greenskin

Game engines on Steam: The definitive breakdown

Post by suny »

A survey of steam games game engines.
It seems like there was no Ogre game released in 3 years: that must change! )

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/ ... -breakdown
S.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Game engines on Steam: The definitive breakdown

Post by sercero »

Very cool graphic, but OGRE is still relevant acording to https://steamdb.info/tech/

EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

It looks like it missed out a few games, per my attempts to dig up the data a few years ago when steamspy was still a thing: https://wiki.ogre3d.org/tiki-index.php?page_ref_id=2187
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

This is an old thread but I thought I'd point something out about the numbers for those curious.

For additional context - I'm the dev behind Void Destroyer and Void Destroyer 2.

If you look Void Destroyer has far bigger number than Void Destroyer 2 - that's because Void Destroyer was on a humble bundle. And it happened that Void Destroyer wasn't in the initial line up of games on the bundle, which meant that although everyone who bought the bundle initially got a Steam key for Void Destroyer - I didn't get any proceeds from those keys, which I knew according to the terms for being in the bundle, so I did it with open eyes. However it still gives me a bit of a - I don't know what - when I see numbers like that heh heh

So in some cases those numbers are meaningless.

Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

chaosavy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 am

This is an old thread but I thought I'd point something out about the numbers for those curious.

For additional context - I'm the dev behind Void Destroyer and Void Destroyer 2.

If you look Void Destroyer has far bigger number than Void Destroyer 2 - that's because Void Destroyer was on a humble bundle. And it happened that Void Destroyer wasn't in the initial line up of games on the bundle, which meant that although everyone who bought the bundle initially got a Steam key for Void Destroyer - I didn't get any proceeds from those keys, which I knew according to the terms for being in the bundle, so I did it with open eyes. However it still gives me a bit of a - I don't know what - when I see numbers like that heh heh

So in some cases those numbers are meaningless.

If you're referring to my wiki link with with the Ogre3d games on Steam circa 2017, you would be wise to click the methodology link above the table which clearly states on Steam Spy page quote:

"Owned" means "Sold", right?
No. "Owned" means "owned". It includes games bought on Steam, bought in retail and then activated on Steam, bought in bundles, recieved through promotions or as a gift and so on. It also includes copies temporarily given away on "free weekends", so take care when coming to conclusions about sales or revenue.

And don't forget about games without Steamworks support sold on Origin, Uplay or GOG. They're not taken into account by Steam Spy.

Several games on that list are key'd, free'd, bundled, whatever at the time I was maintaining the list. It listing is meant to show how many people have owned/tried the games at the time per Steam Spy before valve closed down that way to calculate ownership. Void Destroyer was in or had been in 95,000 users' library at the time.

I would have kept that listing up to date, but all the other ownership calculation methods have been very inaccurate for my own game. And Valve lied to everyone and never set up their own. As it goes...

Anyway, the proper thread for that chart is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84762&p=522506 It would have probably been better putting the reasoning in there. :)

My linking it here was only to point out that there were WAY more Ogre games on Steam than this chart shows.