Does anyone know when the next version of Yake will be done?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
SaintStudios
Gnoblar

Does anyone know when the next version of Yake will be done?

Post by SaintStudios »

Does anyone know when the next stable version of Yake will be released. we might consider using it but the time frame for when its done is important.
Juan C Santiago
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

It's done when it's done :twisted:

SaintStudios: Sent you an email with more details.

-psy
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Is psyclonist a member of the id Games team?

;)
phear hingo

My Webpage
regress
Halfling

Post by regress »

through an email over this way too, please - an maybe a quick update on storm?

We just got the majority of Yake to compile, and added a bit to the wiki . . hoping we can get something coherent out of it soon :)

Awesome job by the way, psy!
regards
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

regress wrote:through an email over this way too, please - an maybe a quick update on storm?
email sent.

Re storm: It'll be released as a pure scene editor with a front end for ogrefsrad as soon as possible. GUI programming usually takes a bit of time. Scene navigation works nicely with good usage of controls, imho, the ogrefsrad front end isn't complete and a few scene editing features still have to be added.
regress wrote:We just got the majority of Yake to compile, and added a bit to the wiki . . hoping we can get something coherent out of it soon :)!
Thanks for the wiki entry! Hope you get your project working. Feel free to bombard me with questions, even (or especially) if you they could put big dents in Yake's design :twisted:

-psy
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

haven't heard much out of meta recently, is he still about? I'm really liking the design and syntax and look forward to more yapp high level stuff. Just like modding! :D Although a few more core devs would be good as it's a big job (and I'm a Flash monkey unfortunatly ;) )
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

Meta is still about, yes. He has a tough job at the moment, though.
Vectrex wrote:Although a few more core devs would be good as it's a big job
Contributions are a good alternative to core dev committment. It worked so far :) Maybe things will change a little bit if the project receives more attention.

-psy
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

psyclonist wrote:Meta is still about, yes. He has a tough job at the moment, though.
tough job as in 'real' job? :shock: :twisted:
psyclonist wrote:Contributions are a good alternative to core dev committment. It worked so far :) Maybe things will change a little bit if the project receives more attention.

-psy

well yake deserves a big fat news post soon I think, when it's stabalised a bit more. In fact the Irrlight guys might post about too, then they could wrap irrlight instead of you guys. That reminds me, Irrlight has what appears to be more flexable scenenode types. A bit like unreal just has special objects that have a cool water effect attached, or even terrain etc. Ogre can only have one big scenemanager. How would something like Yake support both arbitarily? I do wish Ogre had Irrlight style scene objects :|
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

I made a project plan for a game I had in mind, including a tool and 3d engine assessment. After some time I realized that a ´complete´ engine (including the tools) is very hard to get, unless you have many $ (or euro in my case)

I will take this one step back. If you can't beat them, join them. I will try to get Yake running and take some time to figure out the design. If I´m not too frustrated and feel convident I might do something useful; there´s probably more than enough work to do (and gives me a solid basis for my WWI ´shooter´)

Psyclonist, what kind of contributions are you thinking of?
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

Vectrex: I don't fully understand the question. Do you want to know whether Yake can support both? with a common interface?
Vectrex wrote:tough job as in 'real' job?
Yes.
spookyboo wrote:Psyclonist, what kind of contributions are you thinking of?
Maybe another audio plugin (FMOD?), once released the scene editor could use one or two additional plugins, a few more samples would be nice, too ... you get the drift :)

Re design: The high-level system is currently being solidified, so expect something (even) more usable soon, especially samples.

-psy
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

basically I'm asking is Yake trying to be able to abstract things like gfx/physics? (mostly) a bit like how ogre abstracts dx/opengl from the programmer. If this is the case I was just wondering whether it would work for 2 engines that work diferently. Audio/physics/networking I can see working quite well.
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

Vectrex wrote:basically I'm asking is Yake trying to be able to abstract things like gfx/physics? (mostly) a bit like how ogre abstracts dx/opengl from the programmer. If this is the case I was just wondering whether it would work for 2 engines that work diferently. Audio/physics/networking I can see working quite well.
Yes, a few of the core components include abstraction layers. I know about Irrlicht's slightly different design regarding scene nodes and I'm quite positive that it would be possible to wrap it without major problems or breaking interfaces. And if certain things can't be wrapped, then you can still access the plugin internals directly when you need to. My choice for yet another plugin would be a different engine, but then again, I feel no need at all to use anything else than Ogre. ;)

-psy