Strange experiece with 2D rectangle.

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Kristian
Hobgoblin

Strange experiece with 2D rectangle.

Post by Kristian »

Hello,

Ive written a class that takes a texture and animated it between other textures for displaying animated sprites.
And I used to display theese on panel overlayelements and the sprites worked just fine.

However when i tryed to switch to using a 2D rectangle i experienced a very strange error the texture wasnt showing up at all.

However when i add theese 3 lines to the code it works fine on 2d rects as well :

Code: Select all

mOverlayElement = Ogre::OverlayManager::getSingletonPtr()->createOverlayElement("Panel", mName + String("/BombermanSprite/OverlayElem") + unique, false);
	mOverlay = Ogre::OverlayManager::getSingletonPtr()->create( mName + String("/BombermanSprite/Overlay") + unique );
	mOverlayElement->setMaterialName( mMaterial->getName() );
(allright maybe I probatly dont need to create a overlay, havent tested that yet since I incidently discovered this ).

The technique i use to animate the sprites it to manualle create a material with a texture unit state which sets the texture every time the sprite anumation is updated. Im preloading around 50 frames for the sprite and I've tried with other graphics as well and the error is still the same.

Any ideas why something like this couold be happening ?
Kristian, crying out loud: "If it works. Don't fix it!" :p
HCA
HCA2
GuppyLife
Kristian
Hobgoblin

Post by Kristian »

Am I the only one experiencing this ?

when i execute the following the texture doesnt show:

MaterialPtr mat = Ogre::MaterialManager::getSingletonPtr()->create("Menu/BackgroundMaterial", "General" );
	mat->getTechnique(0)->getPass(0)->createTextureUnitState("guibg.jpg");

Ogre::SceneManager* scenemgr = Core::Application::getSingleton().getSceneManager();
	Ogre::Rectangle2D* rect = new Ogre::Rectangle2D(true);
	rect->setCorners(-1.0, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
	rect->setBoundingBox( AxisAlignedBox(-100000.0 * Ogre::Vector3::UNIT_SCALE, 100000.0 * Ogre::Vector3::UNIT_SCALE));
	//rect->setMaterial("Menu/BackgroundMaterial");
	rect->setMaterial("Menu/BackgroundMaterial");
	rect->setRenderQueueGroup(RENDER_QUEUE_BACKGROUND);
	SceneNode* node = scenemgr->getRootSceneNode()->createChildSceneNode();
	node->attachObject(rect);
	node->setVisible(true);

but when i add this piece of code it works fine

Ogre::OverlayElement* e = Ogre::OverlayManager::getSingletonPtr()->createOverlayElement("Panel", "Menu/BackgroundElement" );
	e->setMaterialName("Menu/BackgroundMaterial");

The texture is a 64x64 jpg but I tryed with diffirent textures as well.
Kristian, crying out loud: "If it works. Don't fix it!" :p
HCA
HCA2
GuppyLife
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Kristian wrote:

rect->setRenderQueueGroup(RENDER_QUEUE_BACKGROUND);
Could this be it? This tells Ogre to draw the rectangle before anything else. If you want it to appear above your scene, try using e.g. RENDER_QUEUE_6. Also make sure you disable depth-check (and probably also lighting).