tools

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
celaks
Gnoblar

tools

Post by celaks »

Hi,

can anyone plese help me selectthe most convininet tools for developing OGRE game... like: what is hte most suitable editor for terrain generationa dn what is the most suitable scene manager that can handel the exported format??? what is the most convinient tool for modeling and exporting static geometry (possibly positioned on the terrain)??? what is tool should be used to export the 3D objects (entities)? I have problem working with Max since the export scrit can handle only one mesh and only one (multi)material on it...

Thanks...
MadLion
Halfling

Post by MadLion »

Hi,

just take a look there.
celaks
Gnoblar

Post by celaks »

yep.. I know the Assembilg a Toolset pages.. but I think that they are helping... there is no explanation how to create a landscape and populate it wiht static geomtry... also, exporting meshed from max is pretty much painful task since you need to rework the materials completelly...

my question was: what are the tools used by the devleopers of Ogre games.. there are some very cool games using ogre and that certainly have good content... what have they used to create it and to put it in ogre...

have they build own tools for this?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Browse around, Ogre newcomer.
The list on the wiki is tools used by Ogre programmers/artists, and then there's a whole slew of project specific toolsets.
There is no magic box in game programming/creation.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
celaks
Gnoblar

Post by celaks »

will do that :-)
thx...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

celaks wrote:... also, exporting meshed from max is pretty much painful task since you need to rework the materials completelly...
I suggest you use Octopus from the Yake people - it allows you to use advanced Ogre materials in Max.
And, look at Blender - Ogre folks are moving towards using Blender. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Lee04
Minaton

OK some usefull answere at last

Post by Lee04 »

Hi I feel your pain...
exporting meshed from max is pretty much painful task since you need to rework the materials completelly...
I suddgest you use 3dsmax function: "render to texture" if you have to. You can also export 3dsMax materials as FX files in the latest version of 3dsmax. Render to textur can also let you fix your UV's, automatically or remapped by you.

If you use 3dsmax real time shader DirectX9 material inside 3dsmax you can export these as fx files that contain HLSL/CG code.

I don't understand which of these Octopus handels well. One of them or all? Which?

Why can't there just be a desent 3dsmax scene exporter that exports all
kinds of materials (even if some has to go through the texture baking process/render to texture) which is also used for light maps radiosity not only 3dsmax materials.)

I also wonder how to load fx/cg/HLSL files into RenderMonkey.
That wouyld be usefull sence there is a Ogre material exporter for RenderMonkey.

Hope some of this helps and that you are not stuck with 3dsmax4 or something bad.

Lee04
// 3dsmax courseware provider and reseller of profession shader tools for 3D games that generates CG, HLSL, GLSL from visual programing. SCript shader once use on multilple plattforms. Connects to Maya, 3dsmax and your game engine. http://www.abcmedia.se
Baldrake
Halfling

Post by Baldrake »

jacmoe wrote:
celaks wrote: And, look at Blender - Ogre folks are moving towards using Blender. :wink:
Some Ogre folks are moving towards using Blender. Others of us are moving towards using XSI. :mrgreen: