Frameworking Tutorial

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
bleeder
Halfling

Frameworking Tutorial

Post by bleeder »

Hello there,

I have cooked up a very simple framework not dissimilar to some of the character classes seen in some of the different wiki tutorials (Kencho's terrific camera system tutorial, for example), albeit a lot more non-specific - the base class contains nothing more than a scene node and some very non-specific methods like setPosition, setVisible, etc. I've subclassed this into a few more specific subclasses like Actor, Camera, etc. and made a little manager to handle these objects.

It's all good and jolly, and I'm enjoying writing it and watch it grow into something usable. I have actually just begun writing a two-part tutorial about this, but then it struck me if it's really necesarry - if people will read it at all. My greatest concern is that those new to Ogre and C++ will be too clueless to find it useful, and that those more experienced with these things will find it too basic to be useful.

So the question really is, would such a tutorial be of use at all?

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

I think it's always a good idea, as it shows the phylosophy behind the design, why you did things and why you did them that way. That can enlighten others that can't find the best approach for their designs.

Also, that will loose the learning curve of that framework (specially the understanding time), what is always good.

My suggestion, do it :)

Oh! And thanks for the comment :) Glad to see many people has found my tutorial useful :D

haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

No question, it would. In the IRC channel one of the top most often asked questions is: "How do I set up an app without using ExampleApplication?"
The balance between too basic and too difficult can be ignored here, imho. As for basic usage we have the other tutorials and when someone wants to develop his/her Ogre skills, there just has to be some C++ knowledge. Either already there or gained by learning/trying Ogre. So no prob here.

Go ahead and post it, man. :D
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yes, this is definately a good idea - and a welcome one as well. :D
Any Ogre related code, but especially commented code, is invaluable when trying to get closer to Ogre mastery. :wink:
((Look how popular the gamestate manager framework has become))
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

bleeder
Halfling

Post by bleeder »

haffax wrote:No question, it would. In the IRC channel one of the top most often asked questions is: "How do I set up an app without using ExampleApplication?"
These tutorials probably won't answer that questions, but it should at least give you an idea of how to use classes in relation to Ogre. But hey, that's a really good idea - I just might make a part three describing how to make an Ogre application from scratch.

joi
Gnome

Post by joi »

I would like that! I miss intermediate - advance tutorials. :)
maya 7.0, vs 2005, ogre 1.2

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Looks pretty promising, your wiki entry! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

bleeder
Halfling

Post by bleeder »

Thanks :) I'll hopefully get the time to finish up the first couple of tutorials on this very subject in the beginning of next week.