Just another thanks for OGRE and some ideas&questions

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
progmars
Halfling

Just another thanks for OGRE and some ideas&questions

Post by progmars »

I am a university student. Using C++ already 4 years. A year ago I became curious - how do these 3D things work? So I got DirectX SDK and tried to make use of it. It was really hard. SDK samples are so complex with calls to many specific functions and messed up with frameworks and MFC stuff.. So I tried to make my own objects to simplify device initialisation, D3DMesh operations, rendering, animations, matrixes and so on. It was hard for a beginner but I succeeded step by step. And one day I found out in my country's 3D gaming development forum that " OGRE is good" . So I searched google for OGRE and here I am. As I do not have Internet connection atr home I downloaded everything that seemed to be useful: SDK, Manuals, tutorials and I study them at home. Just 3 days ago installed OGRE SDK and it is running OK with VC.NET. The only thing was that I wanted to pretend smart and put OGRE dlls and cfgs in my projects Debug and Release folders and left default settings for Working directory. So Release worked fine but Debug asked for ogremain.dll. I was surprised, I thought it should ask for ogremain_d.dll because I specified Debug options for linker and dependencies to OgreMain_d.lib. So I looked carefully through tutorials and finally found a place where it says that Working directory should be set to Debug (Release) in OGRE SDK install directory. Now everything works fine but I still do not like the idea that my 3D project is located in MyDocuments but project's OGRE config files and media sources are in OGRE SDK directory. It is OK while I have just one project but when I ll have more I'll have to experiment with copying those OGRE SDK files to multiple locations to have multiple configs. Maybe someone has a better solution for that?
Thanks! OGRE is great!!

DaesDemon
Goblin

Post by DaesDemon »

Hello, for what i think you ask, you should have a look in the ExampleApplication class.

There Ogre::Root is initialized like this:

Code: Select all

mRoot = new Root();
When you have a look in the Root Constructor you can see that you can initialize it by sending it parameters

Code: Select all

mRoot = new Root(const String& pluginFileName,const String& configFileName,const String& logFileName);
So there you can change your Ogre configuration.

For the resources, have a look in the setupResources function, there it loads from resources.cfg file, you can overload this function to a new resources.cfg file that define completly different medias files.

Hope i understood well you question ;)
Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are born to Sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

progmars
Halfling

Post by progmars »

Thanks DaesDemon, I think it is exactly what I need. As I am just a newbie to OGRE I'll have a lots of questions later. But now I am going to study all the things I have downloaded to avoid questions that are answered in the manuals.
As I understand this ExampleApplication class is designed to help get used to OGRE and later I 'll be able able to do things without it? Or maybe ExampleApplication has enough overloadable and configurable things to leave it as a final framework for a real 3D game? Anyway I'll see it myself later, I'm just a bit impatient now :)
There is really no info in my native Latvian language for OGRE so I decided to make an OGRE section on my homepage to help other newbies who maybe does not understand English well. That is why I am trying to make everything as simple as posiible just to avoid scaring 3D (and maybe C++) newbies with failures at the very beginning of their creativity :) So I think I'll try to make an empty VC.net project with settings that work in most cases and put it for download on my homepage.
Good luck to all OGRE developers!

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

progmars wrote:As I understand this ExampleApplication class is designed to help get used to OGRE and later I 'll be able able to do things without it? Or maybe ExampleApplication has enough overloadable and configurable things to leave it as a final framework for a real 3D game?
Yes to all of it. ;)
progmars wrote:So I think I'll try to make an empty VC.net project with settings that work in most cases and put it for download on my homepage.
Good idea. You can also check out jacmoe's Ogre application wizard.