Wierd Error ... Bad Graphics Card?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
sorenth
Gnoblar

Wierd Error ... Bad Graphics Card?

Post by sorenth »

hey all, getting a wierd error here. I have a feeling it involves my graphics card, cause I just upgraded (or downgraded, can't tell yet). I had a GeForce FX 5200, and switched it with an older ALL IN WONDER Radeon, but it would appear that it doesn't support vertex or fragment programs.

Anyway, I choose the fastest config i can, and start up ogre, and i get the following error box:

"Unhandled exception at 0x010538ab in Demo_Grass.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."

I am almost certain that it is not my code, because it is just the Grass sample plus moving the camera around a bit. Any advice? Do I need to revert to my old card? This one has a faster clock speed, but the GeForce has newer DirectX Support I think

Thanks,
Sorenth
Live Happy

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Demo_Grass ain't gonna work on that card, don't try. It uses vertex and fragment programs.

Wooden
Halfling

Post by Wooden »

then maybe ogre should quit gently rather than crashing...
even if it's only a demo.

sorenth
Gnoblar

Post by sorenth »

Yea, I decided to swap out the cards, I wasn't willing to give up the vertex programs for a slightly faster clock speed ... works fine now

on a different note, rather than clutter the forum with new thread, I have a quick question:

I want to have something similar to an array, but it has to be able to grow. I have always worked with languages that allow this, but in C++, I am not sure how to attempt this.

Basically, I am hoping to have certain objects in my virtual world register with a routine inside my main FrameListener. Then, the routine would modify/update each object somehow.

The best way I can think of doing this is to have some form of a growable array, and simply iterate throughout the whole thing to dispatch these updates to everyone registered.

Am I on the right track here? Sorry, but I am new to C++. I have extensive experience in, well, "less strict" languages, but not all of that translates so well. Just the name of the data type or design pattern or whatever would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

*edit: spelling
Live Happy

Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

You should start looking at STL...

Depending on what type of access you want (random access to any item in the array or sequentially), there are different containers in STL that will handle this.

jmonw
Goblin

Post by jmonw »

Just from what you said, an STL List should do the trick.

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

And please do start a new thread for topic changes - this one belonged in Back to Basics.