Other File Format Support

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
nuts
Gnoblar

Other File Format Support

Post by nuts »

hi all,
I am a new member here, I am working on a simulation project.. which has some portion of its code done using Open Inventor.. now i want to switch to ogre but before that i have some queries on my mind.. they are as follows,
1) Does Ogre has loader/manipulator for Open Inventor file format?
2) What are other file formats that ogre supports? (just for future point of view)
3) In what ways Ogre is better than Open Inventor..if it is.
Above info, I couldn't get over the internet thats why i thought to bother you people :D.

The screenshots put up on the Ogre-HomePage are amazingly good..great show by the developers.
I would be very thankful, if any of the developer team or any other member having experience with such a situation could guide me through.

thanks

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

We generally work through exporters - OGRE uses a unified, optimised mesh format at runtime. This has performance benefits, allows us to perform preprocessing to make the file loading quicker, and pushes decisions on what options should be used with the model to the asset design phase where it belongs - the problem with loading multiple formats direct is that getting this kind of option information (grouping options, edge list construction options, vertex component options) is almost impossible so the only way to do it would be to make assumptions on what was intended, which invariably fall down.

Exporters at the moment include SoftImage XSI, 3DS, Maya, Blender, and Milkshape, with community support for Lightwave, Wings, Poser and very recently Truespace.

We don't have any support for the Open Inventor format at present but it could probably be massaged to conform to .scene, which you can find a lot of information about around here. I can't tell you how OGRE stacks up against Open Inventor since I've never used it.

nuts
Gnoblar

Post by nuts »

thanx for the prompt reply, sinbad...the info is really helpful..