GTA San Andreas

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
galdrusa
Gnoblar

GTA San Andreas

Post by galdrusa »

Hi ;)

Have you tried GTA San Andreas? You can go through its huge map with no loading times. I've known that smaller parts are loaded / unloaded while you are moving across the level.

Do you think that would be possible to do something like this using DotScene?
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

i think it can be using your own scene manager...or even with current scene manager (7-th life guys did it ina way :) look on the forum for their game), or u can even use a separate thread to feed the manager with additional data when needed...i dont think this is a default feature i'm afraid, but it can be easely implemented
katoun
Halfling

Post by katoun »

I have played it and I think every object is real time generated when is in the
frustum.I think they have created a bunch of objects, made them with ID and
made a way to encript them so there would be less data than a regular mesh
when creating that huge map.
Kat'Oun
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

no, i read somewhere, that the map is split up into sections, the sections are loaded as the player gets close to them, and others are taken out of memory, this means that the only loading time is before the game, not during it
I think every object is real time generated when is in the
frustum
what do u mean by real time generated?

also if it were loaded when it was in the frustum, it wouldnt really run, as it would have to be loaded off a dvd which isnt too fast, also if the object only loaded when it is in the frustum, the how would you know when it was in the frustum, cos it wouldnt have been loaded yet
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

PagingLandscapeManager pages terrain in as the player walks around. I'm working on an extension to it that also pages in meshes at the same time.
galdrusa
Gnoblar

Post by galdrusa »

i read somewhere, that the map is split up into sections, the sections are loaded as the player gets close to them, and others are taken out of memory
Exactly, that's what I've known.
PagingLandscapeManager pages terrain in as the player walks around. I'm working on an extension to it that also pages in meshes at the same time.
Then... do you think that PagingLandscapeManager could be used for doing small parts of a map with meshes and load/unload them when you move on the map?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

galdrusa wrote:Then... do you think that PagingLandscapeManager could be used for doing small parts of a map with meshes and load/unload them when you move on the map?
What he said! :)
In fact, you can do that already, if you hook into the page loading code.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
katoun
Halfling

Post by katoun »

OK, my mistake, my bad.
About this:

Code: Select all

galdrusa wrote:
Then... do you think that PagingLandscapeManager could be used for doing small parts of a map with meshes and load/unload them when you move on the map?

What he said! Smile
In fact, you can do that already, if you hook into the page loading code.
, how?Please tall more details for a newbie like me, what do I have to do, to get a project similar to GTA SA, actualy how could I use PagingLandscapeManager to page meshes(how to page terrains I know how, but how to add meshes on that terrains is the most important to get that work like in GTA).
Kat'Oun
fantastico
Halfling

Post by fantastico »

Rockstar also make heavy use of fog to ease the drawing distance. Think about when you go base jumping (weee!), you really can't see very far other than down. Gives you an idea that the blocks of map around the player that are paging in and out are actually quite small.

-fantastico
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

only thing is with the GTA games is that sometimes parts arent loaded, like the roads, so u drive over nothing, then it gets loaded and then rendered, it doesnt make the game look too good
Aklix
Goblin

Post by Aklix »

I never saw any innovation in a rock star game. To me, they aren't fun as much as "cool" or "popular cause it's M." Anyhow, they do load it live, if you watch your playstation while playing, in the center of levels it's still, but when you get close enough, the disc starts spinning.
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

the disk is almost always spinning, either loading new cars/people etc, and yea when you move it loads the part your moving towards

good thing about being on the computer, it should load faster shouldnt it? if its not taking it from the cd/dvd drive, and loading it from the harddrive?

even with a 16x DVD drive, it only loads data from it at 21MB/s or something like that, instead of 133MB/s on a ATA 133 harddrive. also the seek times are ALOT faster on the harddrive, so should run alot better than the PS2 game
galdrusa
Gnoblar

Post by galdrusa »

Firstly, I have the PC version of GTA SA and have to say that load and unload are enough fast processes - since parts are loaded from the HD, you don't even notice them.

On the other hand, if you set a good rendering distance, you can see a large portion of land. I think the fog is correctly used in this game, I like the result.