Profiler for .NET

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
baxissimo
Greenskin

Profiler for .NET

Post by baxissimo »

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post. I've tried the DevPartner profiler for .NET that's recommended in the Wiki "Assembling a Toolset" article, but I'm finding it not as useful as the text-based profiler that was build into MSVC6, despite all it's whizzy graphical call chain graphs and such.

Namely, with the old MSVC6 profiler I could say "profile only stuff in this one function and everything called from that function". I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that with the DevPartner profiler, or even determine conclusively that it is or is not possible. The result is that I end up sitting for minutes waiting for it to slowly churn through all my startup code in profiler mode just to get to the part of my code I'm actually interested in profiling.

Has anyone successfully managed to profile just a part of their code using DevPartner's tool? The best I've been able to figure is that you can use their API to erase all the profile data that's been collected up to a certain point, so for instance you can blow away the data just before entering your main loop. But still you have to wait an eternity for it to get through collecting all the profile data on the startup, just so you can discard it. Not very programmer friendly. :-(

Is there some better profiler anyone has tried? Even if it costs money I'd be willing to give it a try. The DevPartner GUI display of results is pretty cool, but geez.
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

AMD Code Analyst

Post by Game_Ender »

AMD Code Analyst is a general profiler that is available for free. People have used it before with Ogre, but I am not sure how well it works with .net, but I believe it debugs anything that has the proper symbols.