Memorizing Pi

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.

How far could you get?

Below 50
82%
50 - 90
6%
90 - 140
3%
140 - 200
No votes
200 - 400
No votes
400 - 800
No votes
Above 800
9%

Total votes: 65

nikki
Old One

Memorizing Pi

Post by nikki »

Hey guys! Have you ever tried memorizing pi (ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter)? I could get to 100 places. Try and see how far you can get. :)

Like:-

Actually, memorizing pi isn't as difficult as it may sound like, since you can make out lots of patterns and short 'poems'.
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

3. Erm...

:lol:
spooky_paul
Halfling

Post by spooky_paul »

i`m just curious who`s the one that memorized "Above 800"
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

Mr. F Liar
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

My great memory doesn't exceed the 3.141, which is enough I think. Knowing more isn't either useful nor fun. Things in live have to be at least one of those ;-).
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I did it until 100 just for fun, and to show off in school tomorrow. :)
Grom
Hobgoblin

Post by Grom »

nikki wrote:I did it until 100 just for fun, and to show off in school tomorrow. :)
and trust me the ladies will be all over you like bugs on a microsoft product
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Thats what computers are for silly. So we don't have to remember.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I did once have a private competition with a math teacher to see who could memorize more. Got to around 30. Now I just know 3.1415926. Nothing got the ladies hot and bothered like me spouting a string of numbers!
Danno
Halfling

Post by Danno »

This whole conversation just made my eye twitch.

lol :D
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

OzwaldoRinaldo wrote: and trust me the ladies will be all over you like bugs on a microsoft product
Tee hee I like that one :D

There are a few methods out there to help remember long strings of numbers (and other things), the most popular being to convert every number from 0 to 9 to an image, then make a story out of the images. The UK 'magician' Derren Brown is big on this stuff, Im reading his book actually, its very interesting 8)
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Praetor wrote:I did once have a private competition with a math teacher to see who could memorize more. Got to around 30. Now I just know 3.1415926. Nothing got the ladies hot and bothered like me spouting a string of numbers!
Thank god my wife didn't know that, or I never would have gotten married... Since I only know the 3.14 value of pie :D
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
bibiteinfo
Gremlin

Post by bibiteinfo »

World record is 46 000 digits ... no life I think lol

http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/lists/memo/index.html
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

This is probably one of the better ways to memorize:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/10/122469/pi.mp3

Surprisingly catchy :D
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

OzwaldoRinaldo wrote:
nikki wrote:I did it until 100 just for fun, and to show off in school tomorrow. :)
and trust me the ladies will be all over you like bugs on a microsoft product
Really? Or are you joking? :)
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

who's going to work out the repetitive pattern for pi?

or prove that there is no repetitive pattern...
Grom
Hobgoblin

Post by Grom »

nikki wrote: Really? Or are you joking? :)
Oh I am dead serious
Rhaythe
Halfling

Post by Rhaythe »

Neeeerrrrrrrds....
"Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

OzwaldoRinaldo wrote:Oh I am dead serious
Actually, nerds are in, didn't you get the memo?
Rhaythe
Halfling

Post by Rhaythe »

Praetor wrote:
OzwaldoRinaldo wrote:Oh I am dead serious
Actually, nerds are in, didn't you get the memo?
So long as you can keep a layer of isolation between your work/hobbies and your significant other, then yeah, you're right. Nerds make the cash.
"Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

nikki, i think your pole ranges do not give good results. I think you'll find that > 80% know between 3 and 4 places. Therefore testing for < 50 does not seperate those who have gone to the effort of learning a couple more. The pole should also test for 0 places.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I really hope most people in society no at least 3.14. But then again, I can't help but think if you asked Paris Hilton she'd respond, "I like blueberry pie, or apple." It's the same reaction I get when I realize someone doesn't understand basic arithmetic, or fractions. Shocking!
Jovani
Goblin

Post by Jovani »

Praetor wrote:I really hope most people in society no at least 3.14. But then again, I can't help but think if you asked Paris Hilton she'd respond, "I like blueberry pie, or apple." It's the same reaction I get when I realize someone doesn't understand basic arithmetic, or fractions. Shocking!
I would find that a creative answer to a moronic question. It is all a matter of perspective.
For some people being smart is all about spending time in an internet forum comparing what open source engine is better, or if opengl is better than directX, even if dx10 is better than dx9, or if windows is better than Linux, and there are even more specific that discus if windows is better than windows vista (talking about nerd).

Other people like Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Pamela Anderson, Carmen Electra, and few others, they spend their time figuring out how to use their talent to make money and enjoy themself while doing it. They write book, they make movies, they do modeling, and they become public figures, and they use what ever god gave them to accomplish that, theirs figure and also their brain.
Maybe knowing lots of digits of pie is a sign of being smart for some people. I think it is much harder to be a public figure and make million while doing it. You may not believe this but it requires more talent that you give it credit for.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I categorize mathematics as the purest form of intelligence. It has little to do with money-making schemes, though I would make the claim that generally those with math knowledge will on average make more than those who do not have it. Plus, I like people who generally seek knowledge as opposed to those who do not.
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

I never really tried memorizing pi past 3.14159265358 because there's really no practical reason to go much farther. Think about it; does memorizing pi to 50 digits show you're "smart"? I don't think so; it may show determination, and good memory, but it also can show that you spend a lot of time learning things you're probably never going to use past a "bragging" level.

Now, if you want to do something nerdy but practical, learn calculus at an early age like I did :). Now that will come in handy.