Game model question

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
EternalDecay
Gnoblar

Game model question

Post by EternalDecay » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:30 am

Say I want to be able to display 100 character models on my screen, assuming there are no other objects in the game, how many poly's per character(around) should I be aiming for if I want it to run 30-40 fps on a decent but not top end computer?

Edit: Guess I should mention... Cell shaded low quality textures...
0 x

Ajare
Goblin

Post by Ajare » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:13 pm

I'd go for 500 or so, but it's difficult to say. Target polycount is a frequently asked question, and a matter of personal experience. The best thing to do would be to create some models with various polycounts (just use spheres or something) and try them out yourself.

Bear in mind that animation will slow things down too. If a lot of models are the same, you could look at instancing, but that's SM3 and might not run on a 'decent' machine.
0 x

Professor420
Greenskin

Post by Professor420 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Polycount isn't really relevant so much, as how expensive are your pixel shaders (fill rate). You can have a 400k polygon scene run fine and a 2 polygon scene run at below 30fps (parallax occlusion, anyone?).

If you are smart, ie, all your materials use single passes for multiple lights instead of iterating per light, etc, you can well past 100 thousand... given the scene you described, with simple shaders, single passes, low resolution textures... I think you could manage 200k easily on a mid-range PC (Nvidia 6800).
0 x