PyroEditor - Radical Source

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

PyroEditor - Radical Source

Post by jacmoe »

Hi all !
I just thought I would share this "find" with you all ->
PyroEditor lets you make levels for Quake-like games as well as detailed triangle meshes. It has advanced skinning/texturing and editing capabilities for tri-meshes, brushes and bezier patches. It also has standard MAP and 3DS export/import capabilities.
It's got source, but the comments are in ???? Maybe romanian or tyrkish - but it's listed on sourceforge and you can download the source from 3dturk (which probably narrows it down to turkish I guess). :)
The source is slightly messy - but when you fire up the program it looks really impressive - here is the beginning of a great tool!
Heck - I don't know what the license is ... :?
But it sure would be cool to tinker away ... :D

http://www.3dturk.com/pyroeditor/

the other stuff on their site looks cool too - who are those guys ? :roll:

((The project's listed on the GDS as well))
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Well - it looks like 3dturk's out of business ... :?
Any of you have some feedback on this - before we tinker away ? :)

:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Yeah! looks really cool

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyroeditor/

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

Their CVS repository seems to be empty, though... and I cannot find a more recent source than 2.2 :( (while 2.4 is provided as binary on the pyroeditor site)

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yep - It looks like the project's dead.
It seems to support Half-Life prefabs ...
If I didn't know better I would have thought it was a HL ripoff - maybe Valve ripped 3dturk off ? :)
Maybe 3dturk IS Valve ? :shock:

Anyway - with a little work it could import/export in Ogre format - and prefabs could be in .mesh ... :wink:

:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Yes, and we'd need to make it multiplatform :-)

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I looked into wxWindows (oops -> wxWidgets) - and it seems to be - if not easy - then at least doable - porting from MFC to wxWidgets. ... :?

Post by Guest »

It'd be amazing to create a middleware between pyroeditor and Ogre Scene formats (since it can export/import 3DS mesh?). That would really simplify the task of creating scenes (maps as refered to usually :P) and possibly create a defacto standard for making scenes with Ogre (if not this, I would atleast like to see standard/prefered tools that interact with ogre to simplify the work manually done in simple things as creating scene files (for dotscene), materials..etc).

Sure there are many thirdparty programs ogre directly-or-indirectly interfaces with, but it'd certainly be nice to have standard, specifically created tools for ogre :D (maybe us community members can start of that or something).

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Let's call it Ogreditor !! :)

- And I believe it's possible !
Anyway - most of the level-processing code is taken from Paul Nettle's sfrad - and we already have Ogrefsrad ... :)

wolfman8k
Gnoblar

Post by wolfman8k »

why not use a well established, well supported, full-featured GPL modelling program, like blender?

I'm using blender for modelling levels for use in Ogre. works great. i even have some custom blender plugins that allow me to position spawn locations and other trigger points and stuff... Screenie

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

You are missing the point wolfman8k - Blender is nice - but it's not a complete system, and it's not tailored for Ogre - I know that there exsist a python-based exporter.
Anyway - it's not meant to compete against Blender - or any other editor/system - or even to start a flame-war :wink:
Do you have prefabs in Blender ? ...
Well, I know Blender is cool , but Ogreditor (Pyroeditor) can be cool too :)
And it can be made to natively support Ogre

DarkSeraph
Halfling

Post by DarkSeraph »

I hate to be the noob reviving ungodly old topics, but I was searching around and this looks very feasable to me. Isn't there a way to just write an fgd file for Ogre entities, and then it should already be able to do all geometry and textures? Or would we have to change how it outputs the geometry/textures as text in the .map file so that Ogre and read it easily, and just change it into a .bsp?

I'd love to see this project come alive, and if it's not, maybe with a little guidance a couple friends and I can program it. We're looking for an easy user friendly map editor, not only for our use, but for our players, so that people can make custom maps etc. and gives us the ability to hold the audience that counterstrike held for years, for the same reason.

Note that I need a level editor, if I wanted terrain, Lucky's editor looks awesome!

And, is there supposed to be an english translation anywhere?

psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

jacmoe wrote:Let's call it Ogreditor !! :)

- And I believe it's possible !
Anyway - most of the level-processing code is taken from Paul Nettle's sfrad - and we already have Ogrefsrad ... :)
As you've mentioned fsrad... before and after. (Note the menu in the second shot.)

-psy

DarkSeraph
Halfling

Post by DarkSeraph »

Did you switch the two around? or is there a reason why the second pic is a LOT blockier?

psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

DarkSeraph wrote:Did you switch the two around? or is there a reason why the second pic is a LOT blockier?
The smoothing groups were discarded for the objects in the second image. The first image shows an Ogre scene lit in realtime, the second shows static lighting (lightmaps).

-psy

scarpelius
Halfling

Post by scarpelius »

Well, is not romanian i cant read a damn thing.
Is turkish.
An OgrEd it will be a very nice tool.

Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Psyclonist -

How have you found working with OgreFSRad? I know that you had done a lot of the earlier work with it.

For example, imagine I had a 1600 square foot home I wanted to lightmap, with three stories. Would it be able to handle that sort of thing?

As far as I know, OgreFSRad only supported point lights, and possibly mesh lights (geometry that acts as a light - probably by sampling points across the surface of the mesh?)

I'm currently using Giles for lightmapping, but am now working on the paging landscape editor and would love to integrate OgreFSRad directly into there for a few things. For example, I'd probably just raytrace shadows from meshes casting onto terrain, but for shadows cast onto meshes outdoors I'd need something more complex, maybe OgreFSRad.

A few questions - when you send geometry to OgreFSRad to lightmap, do you get back different geometry (different number of vertices, new UV coordinates obviously for the lightmaps?) If it gives you back geometry, does it contain the original UVs and a second set of UVs so you can use the geometry that came back from OgreFSRad in place of your original geometry?

Can you give it a lightmap texture size and it generate all lightmaps within that limit, or does it simply start creating lightmap textures on its own and spreading them out over multiple textures without you having a say in it?

Thanks for your time,

Clay

DarkSeraph
Halfling

Post by DarkSeraph »

Another noob question: Where can I get OgreFSrad, or is it still in development?

Obviously we would not want to create an editor that could do lightmaps if we're going to be rendering in real time. But since that isn't feasable for most current games since it would kill fps, an editor would still be terribly handy. As I understand it, if you want smoothing groups you make a model of it and add it into the map, but it makes for bad performance if a large section of the map is using smoothing groups. At least I'm pretty damn sure that's how HL2 does it.

If I could read turkish, that might help, but I can't and there is no way I'm learning.

haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

ogrefsrad is available via CVS in the ogreaddons. it has recently (like yesterday ;)) been updated to the current Ogre release.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

That's great news! :)

Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Obviously we would not want to create an editor that could do lightmaps if we're going to be rendering in real time
I'm not sure what you mean here. Having lightmaps and rendering in real time work together.

Clay

Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

What exactly is OgreFSRad?
phear hingo

My Webpage

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

A tool for using Fluid Studio's Radiosity processor with OGRE. Global illumination, a bit like Giles.

Lee04
Minaton

OgrEd must use Ogre for rendering

Post by Lee04 »

I think any Ogre editor should or must use Ogre for rendering...

I like what you see is what you get interface.
And I like to be able to add my custom stuff to the rendering.

Is there a chance that we can get Turkeditor to use Ogre???

/Lee04

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I found that turkish editor a while ago. The discussion then was to make a model editor for Ogre - but we decided against it. We would rather use exsisting modeling tools and concentrate on making decent exporters. Then we would need assembly editors (like The Elder Scrolls construction set, or the Ogre Toolbox) to 'get the meshes together'.

I believe that you could rewrite the turkish editor, but I don't see why you would do that, other than for the hell of it. (would be a cool thing to have, though not essential) :wink:

DarkSeraph
Halfling

Post by DarkSeraph »

I don't think you'd have to rewrite how it creates meshes, only what entities the game uses.
For example: an .fgd file which is used for Worldcraft/Hammer tells the editor what each entity does (e.g. light, info_player_start etc) and what info that entity sends to the game.

But that's alright. I think I figured out a way to easily use QuArK as a map editor, and get the entities I need in there.