Opening a word document within a Ogre program

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
TommyC
Gnoblar

Opening a word document within a Ogre program

Post by TommyC »

Hi,

Is there a way to open a word document from within an Ogre program? Basically what I need is a button that can open the game's user manual when clicked. I already have implemented a clickable button using CEGUI.

The User manual.doc file would be in the same directory as the Ogre program.

I could, I think, use a file reader but the User manual contains pictures so it would be best if there was a way to just open the word document using Microsoft Word.

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Tommy
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

It would probably me more efficient to use something like Navi to display a webpage than battle with the beast that is Microsoft Word.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

1.) I doubt this fits into general discussion, I think, back to basic would be suitable, as it doesn't has to anything with OGRE in the end.
2.) Why not deliver the manual as pdf? A pdf viewer seems to be installed more widely, than word. I know a lot of people, who don't own or use any version of word. And don't want to.
3.) Do you think it is a good idea to open such document from within the game? Creating a link in the start menu under the games folder is much more common. I wouldn't want to have an application to open after pressing a button in full screen mode...
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Open a pdf - not all of the computers have word - and word is not free like the adobe reader.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Do not use a Word document as a game manual.

Do you want that everyone who wants to read your manual, needs to install a program which is capable of reading a Word document?

If you already have created a Word document, then why not just let Word convert it into a HTML page. Your gamer will have internet browser installed.

I would say that HTML would be the best choice, after that PDF, maybe HTML help (.chm). HTML is obviously the first choice if we don't want our users to be forced into installing applications just so that they can read a manual.

If you want to have a link inside your game which opens an external application with some certain document, I'm sure a little bit of searching the www will give you the info how to do it (on Windows).

ShellExecute or something like that.
TommyC
Gnoblar

Post by TommyC »

Thanks for the many replies people, and your right - a webpage (.html) or PDF is the best way to go. :D

I agree that this post should have been in Back to Basics or somewhere else - I'm sorry that I posted here. :oops:

Thanks again,

Tommy
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

Either way, wouldnt a simple shellexecute call solve this in whatever format you choose? If all you want is for the default program to open up and show you the word document (microsoft word usually), you have to call:

ShellExecute(hWnd, "open", "Readme.doc, NULL, NULL, NULL);

:roll:
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.
frooze
Halfling

Post by frooze »

SunSailor wrote:3.) Do you think it is a good idea to open such document from within the game? Creating a link in the start menu under the games folder is much more common. I wouldn't want to have an application to open after pressing a button in full screen mode...
i think Civilization's civilopedia help is an excellent example of an in-game "manual", though that's a pretty unique case.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

frooze wrote:
SunSailor wrote:3.) Do you think it is a good idea to open such document from within the game? Creating a link in the start menu under the games folder is much more common. I wouldn't want to have an application to open after pressing a button in full screen mode...
i think Civilization's civilopedia help is an excellent example of an in-game "manual", though that's a pretty unique case.
Shure, an ingame help is definitly the better solution - but he wanted to open an external application. With an ingame solution, you don't enforce your game to leave the fullscreen mode, that's the point. With a link button and an external application, you do exactly that. /me would be annoyed about that ;).