And another one! Physics engine, that is!

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
AssiDragon
Greenskin

Post by AssiDragon »

Yay, another *cough* idiot over Newton forums. Given how even Julio replies sometimes, I think I'm not that surprised...

Just a question monster. How the heck do you bring up all these wrappers from apparently nowhere? I had a hard time setting newton working more or less OK directly. :shock: Awesome work.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

zarthrag
Greenskin

Post by zarthrag »

Stuff like that makes me wanna break out with a flame thrower. I sometimes wonder if they are only writing the engine to prove that they can - actually making an intuitive/friendly interface is as important as the library itself if you ask me - my time is valuable to me.

However, if Newton is usable from the PSCL then it's cool. PSCL is something to be excited about. I should hop over and give it a look. Until then, ODE time. I can't use Newton until Linux/OS X is supported anyway.

Walaber: Your walker demo looks awesome. You're the man! (I'm building an action game who's primary enemy are giant multi-legged walking machines.)

monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

monster wrote:Sorry. I really thought I was offering some constructive criticism after my experiences using Newton in practice, apparently I wasn't. Rest assured I shall not be making a similar mistake in the future.

walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

Walaber: Your walker demo looks awesome
thanks! that's an old demo, made when I was first learning Newton. with some of the new features, I think you could make much more articulated and impressive robots / walking machines if you wanted to...
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!

zarthrag
Greenskin

Post by zarthrag »

Yeah, these are 4 and six legged creatures connected to cockpits via giraffe-type necks. The scale is pretty odd, the smallest are house sized with 4 legs and one head, the biggest has 6 legs, 2 heads, and is sky-scraper sized.

I'll post a screenshot as soon as it's all working, I stopped to look at PSCL, but the ODE plugin isn't there yet - I'll have to just use it directly for now.

By the way - my game is supposed to be playable by summer - I'll post here more often as that time approaches.

Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Dunno what I missed on the Newton boards. Sounds like there was some conflict.

Anyway, I see a new version is available as of yesterday.

kariem2k
Gnoblar

Post by kariem2k »

but is it free for commercial use

walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

yes it is... have a look at the license, it's on the download page of the Newton site.
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!

Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Are there any wrappers that can be shared yet? I see a few people working on Newton but not sure of the relative progress.

zarthrag
Greenskin

Post by zarthrag »

Depends on your timeframe, IMO.

Monster, Robomanic, Walaber, et. al. wrappers all seem to have wonderful things going, however they are a bit limiting. However there is a learning curve that's subject to change at any time. And personally, I'm just a fan of community code - it's too much to expect one person to be able to (continiously) maintain support of something that was developed for their own use.

I think the ODFRocket/PSCL suggestion is the best thing to come along in years. Then you can easily use the "best" physics engine for the job at hand - without having to worry about (re)implementation. It would be to Newton's *great* advantage to support the development of the Newton ODF plugin as much as possible - it'll help alleviate the very pains that monster mentioned. Additionally, it'll (or, rather, it already) do things that these custom wrappers will (probably) never come close to.

However, the ODE plugin is what I'm waiting for :-). Off the bat, is ODFRocket cross platform?

(Note that I mean this in the most objective tone possible.)

monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/odepscl/
the ode openphysics bindings are a bit out of date

http://www.physicstools.org/forum1/20.html
the next release of rocket is planned to be more, if not actually, cross-platform
Last edited by monster on Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

@ Slicky
the source code for my wrapper is available, do with it what you will, i removed it in a fit of pique but it's back now
http://www.green-eyed-monster.com/xoops ... id=1&lid=7

Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Thanks Monster I will take a look. I had used ODE directly and Tokamak with Ogretok. To be honest I get the feeling that Newton is the way to go but we will see.

Thanks for the link.

Vanish
Gnoblar

Post by Vanish »

I've also got monster's wrapper, for which I have added support for the vehicle joint if you need it.

I haven't released it yet because I am working on a sister library for the vehicle joint that allows XML loading of engine, transmission, wheels etc.