Loading screen

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
crioto
Halfling

Loading screen

Post by crioto »

Hi everyone!
I searched the forum found a few similar themes, but the answer to my question is not found.
I need to make the screen "Loading", that all resources are loaded only at the time when I click the Start button in CEGUI. It is this click I can do.
I have a class Loader, which parse XML-files. In these files is stored information on meshes, names, positions and quaternions.
Also, I use scripts Lua, to move my NPC at the right time. But they are beginning to move in when just starting loading level. I need this to happen only when loaded camera.
Also i need to appear Overlay with the word "Loading". I created the overlay and material script for this, showing him at the start of loading and cleaning at the end. But nothing appears on my screen.
Can anybody give me some refences (or advices) to information related to my problem?
Do your work, don't be stupid
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Have you seen the example loading bar? (ogre/samples/include/ExampleLoadingBar.h)
crioto
Halfling

Post by crioto »

Yep!
But i can't understand: My screen freeze during the boot sequence. I must, as in example, each time to update the window?
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Do you use it like this?
// Load bootstrap resource (OgreCore.zip)

LoadingBar* loadBar = new LoadingBar();

loadBar->start(mRenderWindow,numGroupsInit,numGroupsLoad,initProportion);

// Load resources here.

loadBar->finish();

delete loadBar;
crioto
Halfling

Post by crioto »

Actually not! I don't use ExampleApplication and have my own render loop.
I hust use mOverlay->show() on the starting loading process and mOverlay->hide() at the end.
I don't want to use loading bar. Just "Loading..." word on the black screen
volca
Gnome

Post by volca »

If I understand your question correctly - then yes, you have to manually render frames now and then to ensure the screen stays responsive, or defer your loading to a separate thread, so it won't be blocking any more.
crioto
Halfling

Post by crioto »

volca wrote:If I understand your question correctly - then yes, you have to manually render frames now and then to ensure the screen stays responsive, or defer your loading to a separate thread, so it won't be blocking any more.
Ok, i got it! Thank you