Forum downtime 24th December

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Chris Jones
Lich

Re: Forum downtime 24th December

Post by Chris Jones »

Looks good, i don't think it's a bad thing having the avatar/info on the right but it will definatly take some time to get used to after all these years.

Merry Christmas!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

ppClarity wrote:My favorit-est feature of 3 is that super wide posts only affect that post and not the entire page so that I don't have to side scroll just to read comments. Now if only the phpbb devs can add an ignore thread feature, I'll be in heaven.
Ignore thread? Whazzat? Something like, "Don't tell me when this thread get's new replies."?
JohnJ
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by JohnJ »

I love it. The avatars on the right might take a day or two to get used to, but I think they make sense, especially since you can read the post author easily on the top-left anyway. This is really going to make everything easier around here :D

Oh yeah, and the new moderator features are pretty nice, although since the addons forum rarely gets spammed, etc. I probably won't get to use them much :)
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Thanks Sinbad, new site seems to work great :)
foxwoods
Gnoblar

Post by foxwoods »

Thanks! The new site looks great.
One question: The wiki seems to be down, at least for me. Is this due to the update and reorganization of the site, or is it a separate issue? Or even something on my end?

Thanks.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

foxwoods wrote:Thanks! The new site looks great.
One question: The wiki seems to be down, at least for me. Is this due to the update and reorganization of the site, or is it a separate issue? Or even something on my end?

Thanks.
Whoops, my bad. Forgot I had to change the path to phpBB for the wiki login integration. Fixed now.
syd
Gnome

Post by syd »

really nice, love it :)
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Wow that was pretty fast!

I have only one concern : the greens used around the messages are maybe a bit too close to the white (at least on my home computer screen).

Anyway this transition is a good thing done! :)
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

sinbad wrote: Whoops, my bad. Forgot I had to change the path to phpBB for the wiki login integration. Fixed now.
it still doesn't work (at least for me). I even tried changin the forum password and having wiki reset my password. Has anyone else had trouble logging in?
Cateia Games | Theora Video Plugin
Made a project using Ogre? Help others by writing about your experiences on the Wiki Experiences page!
milliams
Gremlin

Post by milliams »

Kreso wrote:Has anyone else had trouble logging in?
Yeah, I'm currently unable to log in too.
synaptic
Goblin

Post by synaptic »

ooo liking the new look, the wiki works fine for me :D
With time and patience, the mulberry leaf becomes satin. With time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.
will.i.am
Gnoblar

Post by will.i.am »

Me too
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

milliams wrote:
Me too.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I don't know if it's just me, but I have quite some difficulties to rapidly see where a post ends and the nexts starts as the two colors used as background for a post are quite similar (at least on my screen). Is it just caused by my screen settings (I've played around with them a bit to tweak them, but without great success) or does anybody else has the same issue?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

spacegaier wrote:Is it just caused by my screen settings (I've played around with them a bit to tweak them, but without great success) or does anybody else has the same issue?
I get the same issue too. My monitor although it's pretty great seems to have problems displaying very white colours or it could be my eyesight. I hope it's the former!

I can easily modify my Ogre stylish style to add a dark grey dashed border below each reply if that would help you.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

I finally figured out what I hate so much about all the 'new' forums (not just Ogre, but Portalized's forums, Newton's forums, everyone's upgrading).

It's the fact that the topic 'area' is now cluttered with who posted the topic directly under the title. This makes it very hard for me to actually skim over the topic titles.

Other than that, all is good :D
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Yes, that is something I don't like either! It really slows down having a glance at the new posts / threads as you can't really look throught them fluently anymore (in the subforums as well as in the "New posts" area).

That is something that could be worth a fix, but perhaps the time will heal it...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
ppClarity
Gremlin

Post by ppClarity »

nikki wrote:
ppClarity wrote:My favorit-est feature of 3 is that super wide posts only affect that post and not the entire page so that I don't have to side scroll just to read comments. Now if only the phpbb devs can add an ignore thread feature, I'll be in heaven.
Ignore thread? Whazzat? Something like, "Don't tell me when this thread get's new replies."?
Yep. There is the occasional gem in the Lounge, but every time the Palin or Avatar topics get added to it flags the forum as containing new messages. Several topics within the Showcase have devolved into project tech-support or are not interesting enough for me to wade through all the 'me too' posts (anything C# or .Net for instance).
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

So, what's up with the wiki then? I have a few articles to write :)
Made a project using Ogre? Help others by writing about your experiences on the Wiki Experiences page!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

nikki wrote:
milliams wrote:
Me too.
Damn, my session was already in. It seems phpBB3 completely changed the password hash function and now requires you to include a huge amount of extra code to do it. Except that when you do, half the classes clash with MediaWiki class names. Joy.

I'll try to find some time to look at this further soon.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

or you could just have seperate login data for phpbb and mediawiki.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Kreso wrote:or you could just have seperate login data for phpbb and mediawiki.
Seems a little bit silly, remembering two passwords for the same website. Besides two betajaens, one that could possibly not be me? - I think not.

It's a shame that PHP doesn't have namespaces; well they do now, but back then when Sinbad first installed the wiki.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

if you make the same username and pass for both forums and the wiki, I don't see the problem. at least as a temporary measure until the problem is repaired
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Kreso wrote:if you make the same username and pass for both forums and the wiki, I don't see the problem. at least as a temporary measure until the problem is repaired
Except that they use 2 different 1-way hashing algorithms, so what you suggest is not only undesirable, it's impossible.

Anyway, I've fixed it now, without using any code from phpBB3 directly, which does not mix well with MediaWiki code. phpBB3 uses the 'Portable PHP password hashing framework', which I've used directly. To complicate matters, they modified it slightly in their own internal copy which meant I had to match those mods. Also, phpBB3 now treats all usernames as case insensitive, which was also throwing it off. All working now.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Pieces of source code are in scrollable boxes now.
I miss a button to flip open that boxes.
For looking to a longer code it's not comfortable/clear to scroll in the tiny box.
On an other forum I saw such a button. Maybe this is also available in phpBB?

Update:
When you reply in this forum then you see a topic review on the bottom.
This is in a scrollable box.
On the right side over the review box is a link called Expand view.
When you click to it than the content of the box will be integrated in the forum page.
Such a link for code boxes would be nice. The based functionality for this seems to be in pbpBB.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.