Wanted - help with 3DS & Maya exporters

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Wanted - help with 3DS & Maya exporters

Post by sinbad »

It's time to show support for your engine!

We need assistance with our 3DS and Maya exporters. People are raising issues on them, but the original authors are either not around, or they are too busy now to continue to provide the level of support needed.

The core OGRE team do not have licenses for these products. I've already petitioned Alias and Discreet about whether they're prepared to offer reasonable licensing deals to open source programmers, who after all are only trying to support their products and are not in the business of being artists on the cheap, but both are incredibly tight-fisted and have offered me absolutely nothing. The OGRE team simply cannot shell out several thousand pounds / dollars (twice) to support users of these products, so I'm asking for the following:

1. Maintainers to come forward. If you own 3DS or Maya, and have experience with their scripting languages for both static and animated meshes, please volunteer to become a maintainer.
2. Alternatively, if you don't want to become a maintainer but want to help anyway, if you are able to contribute a Maya or 3DS license to the team, either through a spare copy you have, or a cash donation, we'd be very, very grateful. And no, we won't accept illegal copies ;)

We don't ask for much back from the community - we're a very generous, giving bunch you know ;) - but now we need your help. It's for your own benefit anyway, after all.

Proposals to me please at sinbad@ogre3d.org. It's for a good cause. :)
Last edited by sinbad on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostlogic
Gnoblar

Post by Lostlogic »

Have you tried using GMAX for the model format? Or does it not contain the right amount of information?

I own MAX 4, is that recent enough for the project?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

GMax is only for modding - the developers have to pay a fee to include customised GMax versions in their projects.

I'm afraid we need Max 5+ support, thanks anyway.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

Sinbad

I want to support the 3dsMax exporter (create a new true dll file, i dont use or will not use the maxscripted exporter), its on my plans, but in my project the exporters will start to be coded in a few months

Best Regards,

Lioric
mj
Kobold

Post by mj »

My friend Simba is developing advanced MAX exporter. It was originally only for Ogre but now is at higher level and intended to produce full scene description in .mesh, .scene, .xode, .link, .model formats. It is designed to use with Yake engine so more details you'll find on its forums at yake.org/forum. The exporter is implemented in maxscript and much more correct and feature-rich than that is in ogreaddons. Ogre users could definitely benefit from exporter's "Ogre part".
--mj
joi
Gnome

Post by joi »

oh my god, this was such a nice post. i cant believe we lost it all :roll:

we need to get things in order about maya exporter. who is developing, and what they are developing.
glateur
Halfling

Post by glateur »

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8523 :wink:
joi
Gnome

Post by joi »

ok, for those who havent, here is a link to 6.0 and 6.5 exporters

they are both the command line and the plug in (you still need the .mel files, you can find them on tools/mayaexporter/ directory)

here is the link to it : http://gramulho.tripod.com/ (stupid tripod, i dont have any good webspace, i should really find one)

as far as i know it exported all ok, nothing breaked. with an exception for some small erros and warnings on the compile. the .material could be a little old, but that you can fix that yourself.

sorry, im just to lazy to separete those, come on, its just 400k, you on 56k or what? :)
Elkmor
Gnoblar

Post by Elkmor »

File exporter is a tons of work.

I think it is better idea to make .x file loader, instead of supporting own mesh formats. Or may be file converter from .x to own.

Microsoft have not so bed x-file exporters from Maya and Max. And MS takes care about updates.
Elkmor
Gnoblar

Post by Elkmor »

I didn't try use OGRE (downloading fist copy right now) so my post seems to be reasonable for me while I don't know anything about OGRE. ;)

Don't take my opinion like thinks of experienced user.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

.x is a pretty sucky format (opinions expressed before in this forum), and we generally prefer to provide full exporters, since the underlying file formats are most often undocumented and/or missing some information. dotXSI and .FBX perhaps offer better opportunities for a general exchange format though.
Metron
Gnoblar

Post by Metron »

Hi,

I've been working on Max Exporters since 1996 (early Max 3 releases) and I might find some spare time to develop an OGRE 3DMax Exporter. Currently I own V6.

Is there a feature wish list anywhere?

Metron
Sarev0k
Halfling

Post by Sarev0k »

Here's a wishlist that we have set up in the wiki.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ex ... er_or_Ogre.

Thanks! :)
An open source 3D real-time strategy game engine (under development)
Metron
Gnoblar

Post by Metron »

I've read the improvement suggestions and, after pondering about writing a new plugin, I think it would be more interesting to improve the current exporter and make the changements in MaxScript.

Although I've only written C++ plugins, I think that I'll have no problems to use the scripting engine. The only thing that really disturbs me is that

a) there seems to be no debugger.
b) after I have changed a script, I have to restart Max before the changement is used. Is there any "reload" button?

Best regards,
Metron