PyOgre updated to ogre 0.15 and now using release build

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
tisba
Kobold

PyOgre updated to ogre 0.15 and now using release build

Post by tisba »

I've updated pyogre. It is now based on ogre 0.15 (will work on 0.15.1 soon).

The build system can now handle both release and debug build. For those upgrading, be sure to delete your build/ directory and read the build instruction carefully.

Boost.Python 1.32 is now being used. The new build dependencies can be downloaded there:
http://gaiacrtn.free.fr/temp/pyogre_dep ... 041202.rar

Precompiled binairies for windows and python 2.3.x can be found there:
http://gaiacrtn.free.fr/temp/pyogre_20050103.rar (includes ogre 0.15.1 demo media, ~18Mo)
http://gaiacrtn.free.fr/temp/pyogre_200 ... _media.rar (without media, ~3Mo)

[EDIT: regardless of what the text say above, this is the lastest available version pyogre based on ogre 0.15.1]

Notes that ogre demo media are different than the cvs media (for reason beyond my understanding the bsp level is not included in the CVS).

IMPORTANT: it is still very experimental, even though it seems to work (at least for monsterkodi, see kork). I'm still surprise that it doesn't crash...

If someone can give the least of missing dll on computer without visual studio, I'll include them ;-)

-- tisba
Last edited by tisba on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nice one mate, glad to see this is still going. :)
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

Thanks. I had to take a break from ogre to work on cppunit 2 ;-).

I just got a working build of pyogre for ogre 0.15.1. I'll make a precompiled package tomorrow. The impatient can build from the cvs :D
tisba
Kobold

PyOgre for Ogre 0.15.1

Post by tisba »

Finally done moving PyOgre to Ogre 0.15.1.

Precompiled binairies for python 2.3.x can be found there:
[EDIT: Links removed. Get the lastest version in the top post]

EDIT: Those are windows only binaries.

Have fun :D
Last edited by tisba on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

tisba wrote:Thanks. I had to take a break from ogre to work on cppunit 2 ;-).
Cool! I had no idea you were the main man on CppUnit. I use JUnit a lot at work, and have tried to use CppUnit a little in Ogre (difficult because of the visual nature of the results, but you can see an attempt in ogrenew/Tests/OgreMain anyway :)), so nice work!
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

sinbad wrote:
tisba wrote:Thanks. I had to take a break from ogre to work on cppunit 2 ;-).
Cool! I had no idea you were the main man on CppUnit. I use JUnit a lot at work, and have tried to use CppUnit a little in Ogre (difficult because of the visual nature of the results, but you can see an attempt in ogrenew/Tests/OgreMain anyway :)), so nice work!
Thanks. I've have maintaining that beast for a few year. You can not really understand how much c++ compiler have progressed until you have worked on a project like this that attempt to support old compilers.

Anyway, for testing ogre can take advantage of the multiple implementations of the RenderSystem (dx7, dx9 and gl): render the same scene with the three renders and compare the result. There's probably some way to compute image "distance" to do this automatically. Then come up with a generic scene format and take snapshot at specific time.
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

I finally got the RaySceneQuery working :D. The camera now follow the terrain in the terraindemo!

In addition to that, I finally reproduced the virtual function overload resolution issue in a simple test case. I'm currently working on correcting pyste to fix that.
jovian
Gnoblar

Post by jovian »

trying to runthe precompiled pyogre in linux (ubuntu 4.10) and I get the following error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "celshadingdemo.py", line 2, in ?
import localogre as ogre
File "/home/jovian/games/pyogre_20041203/pyogre_20041203/python/ogre/demo/localogre.py", line 4, in ?
from ogre import *
File "../../ogre/__init__.py", line 1, in ?
from pyogre_ import *
ImportError: No module named pyogre_

ideas on whats wrong and/or how ot fix. I have pyogre working in windows however my main development is in linux .
as a fyi th cloth and lighting demos crash on me in windows however.
Cheers,
Nick
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

Glad to know it's working somewhere else. I'm working on getting the lightning demo to work (the shared_ptr are giving me trouble).

Where did you get the precompiled linux version ? The precompiled version I'm posting is for Windows only. pyogre_.pyd is a dynamic library and is platform specific.
CodeMeister
Gnoblar

Post by CodeMeister »

@tisba: I mean no disrespect, but I'm wondering what is the point of a python to ogre binding? I can see RAD perhaps... I'm just curious about the rationale. :)
"Experience: what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted."
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

- Superb prototyping with a solid OOP feel, that I've found is easily translated into C++ later, if needed.
- Scripting hooks
CodeMeister
Gnoblar

Post by CodeMeister »

"...I've found is easily translated into C++ later, if needed..."

Hmm, are you describing "hand editing" python code to C++ or are the scripts compilable? I've seen some efforts to compile scripts to binary but I've never been able to get it to work. That would certainly make the python/Ogre bindings very useful! :)
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Ick no, I wouldn't trust it unless I translated it myself.
CodeMeister
Gnoblar

Post by CodeMeister »

This rocks! I downloaded the full archive and ran it on my XP SP2 box using the OGL renderer. Very impressive! After examining some of the Python scripts, it looks like the Python/Ogre marriage was meant to be! Call me a PyOgre convert! 8)

Now, to build something cool! MUHAHAHA! :wink:
stodge
Goblin

Post by stodge »

Any chance you could not use rar? They won't extract under Linux using unrar. :P

Thanks
CodeMeister
Gnoblar

Post by CodeMeister »

[edit] Found what I thought was missing... :oops:
Last edited by CodeMeister on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jovian
Gnoblar

Post by jovian »

no woring linux version I downloaded the windows and was tryng to get it to work in linux. I realized it was a fat chance thing but was hoping ot get it to work.
Cheers,
Nick
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

temas wrote:- Superb prototyping with a solid OOP feel, that I've found is easily translated into C++ later, if needed.
- Scripting hooks
I'm 100% with you on this themas. I just love python OOP feeling. It makes the code so soft, you could snuggle into it ;-)

Just imagine if you could write a scene manager or a renderable in python!

Another goal is quick tool development with pyqt and wxPython integration.
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

stodge wrote:Any chance you could not use rar? They won't extract under Linux using unrar. :P

Thanks
It's for windows only (it's basically a dynamic library), so there no point in making it extractable on Linux.
tisba
Kobold

Post by tisba »

CodeMeister wrote:This rocks! I downloaded the full archive and ran it on my XP SP2 box using the OGL renderer. Very impressive! After examining some of the Python scripts, it looks like the Python/Ogre marriage was meant to be! Call me a PyOgre convert! 8)

Now, to build something cool! MUHAHAHA! :wink:
Glad that you like it. Just have a look at monsterkodi awesome game:
http://kork.sourceforge.net/

It's written with pyogre :D. Just be warned that the pyogre still have an experimental status. That being said, it's probably a very convenient way to quickly discover ogre without having to create c++ project ;-)
Slothir
Gnoblar

Post by Slothir »

Any ideas on how to get this one to work with python v2.4 ??

Edit: Error message

Code: Select all

E:\Documents and Settings\NorME\Desktop\pyogre_20041203\python\ogre\demo>python
lightingdemo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "lightingdemo.py", line 1, in ?
    import localogre as ogre
  File "E:\Documents and Settings\NorME\Desktop\pyogre_20041203\python\ogre\demo
\localogre.py", line 4, in ?
    from ogre import *
  File "../..\ogre\__init__.py", line 1, in ?
    from pyogre_ import *
ImportError: Module use of python23.dll conflicts with this version of Python.   
Slothir
epopov
Halfling

Post by epopov »

Either get the sources and recompile them with the Python 2.4 lib (hoping it will compile (link) without problems) or use Python 2.3 instead (I would do this last one, as it is very easy to have different python versions side by side).
jpfarias
Gnoblar

Post by jpfarias »

Hi!

Is there anything done on porting pyogre to linux?

Also, I would like to have the binaries of latest pyogre for windows, the ones which runs the terrain demo.

I want to help on the port to linux. If someone is doing this port please contact me via email ( jpaulofarias AT yahoo dot com DOT br

Thanks.
gmueckl
Halfling

Post by gmueckl »

I tried to give a linux port a shot but I stumbled over GCCXML because it doesn't recognise gcc builtins as such in the system headers provided with the compiler. And these are inevitably included by Ogre and so pyste runs into problems when executing GCCXML.

If anyone knows anything about this problem, I'd love to hear about it.
jpfarias
Gnoblar

Post by jpfarias »

I've got to run pyste succesfully on all .pyste, but could not compile the resulting .cpp files....

Later I'll post my modified SConstruct file so we can discuss it...