Opensource component Unity3d/CryEngine Alternative in making

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
amlee
Gnoblar

Opensource component Unity3d/CryEngine Alternative in making

Post by amlee »

Hi,
See the following doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K5T ... UYGPE/edit

Just wrote the first draft, currently im the only one in the team, anyone is welcome to share ideas. I will do this project in free time, if I cant find support I will take the initiative my self as it is my dream project.

Share what you like and unlike in Unity3d/CryEngine, make wish list, discuss architect, discuss component object system, or all the ideas. Meanwhile I will update the docs to reflect your discussion.
See the following thread on discussion about components.http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 5&start=75

Regards
Ahmed Ali Ghamidi
Software Engineer/Game Developer
Arbisoft
elgregor
Gnoblar

Re: Opensource component Unity3d/CryEngine Alternative in ma

Post by elgregor »

Mono - As a scripting platform for both editor and game engine
I guess you know that some people are against Mono. When they'll see it you'll receive "NOOOOOO!" responses :). I hope it's well-thought decision...
Also about Technologies section: if I understand correctly these modules will be made first, but are only examples, as engine will be modular.
Sorry for my English :)
vblanco
Kobold

Post by vblanco »

I will put python or LUA as scripting lenguajes better than mono, or BEST put ALL of them
amlee
Gnoblar

Post by amlee »

Scripting will be open for community to implement their own choices, but mono will be the official scripting environment supporting C# and Boo(Python). I have worked with MonoDevelop it is an excellent enviroement supporting type safety and parameter and syntax info.

Can anyone suggest me a good name like Orc or something like Ogre?

More desgisn info:
Unlike Unity3d I have decided to go with Node based object system instead of Component based.
Unlike Unity3d the programmers will have to glue nodes by them selves most of the times.

An example of this is physical rigid bodies and graphical meshes.

Normally in unity3d if you put toghether following comonents into a game object they will automatically identify each other and glue to each other.
GO = Transform + Mesh + RigidBody + Collider (Optional)

But in our engine, the programmers will have to map/connect manually the position of graphical nodes to rigid-bodies using an intermediate node; Another Houdini inspired approach, we are going to use a folder/file path system to refer to other nodes and properties.
Example: I can refer to other properties in different game objects like "..\gameobject1\node2\propertyA".
To improve runtime performance paths like this can be cached as Weak Pointers.
amlee
Gnoblar

Post by amlee »

Another thing. Unity has Tags and Layers for Game Objects. We will not have layers, instead we will generalise the concept. And support multiple tags per object. The Tags will be used in Lights, Cameras and Collision Masking.
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

I'd recommend trying to keep as much as possible strongly typed as opposed to lots of magic strings mainly for performance and refactoring (not including the scripting language of course).

i don't see the benefits of the path system instead of component based objects. it sounds like more effort by the programmer and makes a data driven approach even harder/long winded.
Last edited by Chris Jones on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank28_nfls
Gnoblar

Post by frank28_nfls »

What about GameKit: http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/? I don't have real experience with it, but I am quite interested in that project, and also the idea to use blender as editor. What do you think about it?
zorocke
Halfling

Post by zorocke »

frank28_nfls wrote:What about GameKit: http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/? I don't have real experience with it, but I am quite interested in that project, and also the idea to use blender as editor. What do you think about it?
Thanks for the link, this is the first time I've heard of the project.
elgregor
Gnoblar

Post by elgregor »

Also there's OGE.
Sorry for my English :)