GtkRadiant's xmap format...

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Desco
Gnoblar

GtkRadiant's xmap format...

Post by Desco »

I've heard Sinbad mention more than once that Q3A's .map format is proprietary, protected by copyright, and therefore not usable other than for hobbyists. (With a caveat that Carmack is supposed to release the format to the GPL, making it usable.) I've been exploring OGRE and all sorts of 3d packages-- both engines and modelling utilities.

GtkRadiant can be saved to an xml format called .xmap, and as far as I can tell, it's a format that's been developed by the Radiant folk to help in porting levels from one game to another-- but it looks like it has been kindof abandoned. My question is has anyone explored using this format as a non-copyright alternative to the .map format?

I realize I could make my own scene manager and parser for this format, but I'm not sure of the legality. Yes, I'm currently on the scale of hobbyist, but don't want to be constrained by something like that...

Harlequin
Kobold

Post by Harlequin »

.map is not .bsp which ist used in the bsp-scenemanger.

Also radiant, which produces .map, prohibits use for other engines than the quake-series. The compile-tools which generate the bsp-tree and the lightmaps have similiar issues.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht

Desco
Gnoblar

Post by Desco »

yeah I realize .map and .xmap is not BSP, but I did not realize Radiant restricts the use of their editor... I looked last night and could not find anything like that-- not that I'm saying you're wrong, but I've noticed that often things like this change without people noticing...

I was just looking for an alternative to using 3DS for scene creation, and figured Radiant might be good because it's specifically meant for level creation. I realize I'd have to write my own scene loader, and probably have to do some custom work for a scene manager--- though the octree manager might be a good choice...

I'm working on an urban outdoor environment, so the BSP scene manager is out of the question, and unlike many RPG projects, there is not large expanses of empty space (i.e. between towns)-- its all city.

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

It definitely says that on the EULA that comes with the downloads from iD's site, and if you look at the tools source code (which I assume GtkRadiant used), they too have a license saying that you can only use the source to build tools for use with Q3A and it's derivatives. I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago to check, since there had been reports that the end of 2004 was likely to be the time the license was to be opened up a bit. Therefore I'm certain that you are still limited to using the tools and source code for the Q3A engine and nothing else.