Question - What is IRC/IQU?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Question - What is IRC/IQU?

Post by WanabeCoder »

Edit : IQU = ICQ :oops:

Ok.. I know its like a global chatroom with channels.. but.. I mean.. whats the difference between the two? I see ICQ thingies in the forum under people's profiles, yet you guys are talking about joinig IRC channels.. :S

I am a newb at most of the stuff on this forum. The only relevant thing I know to do is script. I just got msvc++6.0 a few days ago, and I luckily came upon this site. I have NO idea how to create a win32 window on my own. Blah. I feel so noobish.

Erm. Back on topic. What is it, whats the difference between irc/icq, and how can I get it/them (oh and do they work.. together)?

Bill
Gremlin

Post by Bill »

IRC is the origional Internet Relay Chat. Back when I used it, I remeber it was unusual to see more then 100 people on.

I'm not sure, but I think ICQ is a similar, but separate, chat system. However, it may just be an interface to IRC (don't think so though).

There are other chat systems like Microsoft Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, an Yahoo Chat.

The difference between the systems is that they are separate; someone on AOL IM can't talk to someone on IRC. (Actually, I haven't tried it. I suppose you could build a bridge between the different systems.)

Now that doesn't exactly clear things up does it?

haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

ICQ is like AIM and MS Messanger, but it was the first and has the most feature complete client. Maybe it has the largest user base, I don't know, but all my friends / team members use ICQ.

Trillian and Miranda are both all-in-one solutions allwoing you to connect to all these networks mentioned above + IRC + some I've never heard of.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht

WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

Yeah, I want to get to talk to you >_>