question about Azathoth

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
boto
Gnoblar

question about Azathoth

Post by boto »

hi,

i am searching for a new engine for my project ( http://yag2002.sourceforge.net ) and ogre seems very appealing to me, big compliments to authors and community for their great work so far :-)

i played a little with the engine ( last cvs snapshot of 10th jan ) and its tools. the demos are great and the tools are useful, too ( 3ds max scene exporter has some minor bugs though ).

my question is about Azathoth release. before i begin to shift my framework to ogre i would like to wait for this release as currently some engine interfaces are changing and last bugfixes and extensions are implemented.

well now my actual question:

- when will the Azathoth estimately released? next weeks, or rather next months? what is the estimated time window?

my next question:

- if the release will take months, what parts of the engine are lesser subject to change? so i possibly could already begin the work before the Azathoth is released.

again, you guys are doing great work, and i am excited to get experienced with the engine ;-)

cheers
boto

zander76
Halfling

Post by zander76 »

Hello,

Chances are you will get a responce of when its ready, so before that comes i will try to help. The best thing I can tell you is have a look at the road map on the wiki

Something on the list will be finished very quickly and others will have problems. By my guess I would say atleast a month. Once they have completed the list there will be a quality assurence section to make sure everything is stable before the actual release.

So really the best anybody can say is when its done, but i don't think it will be a week if thats what you were wondering. Try using the cvs version and seeing how stable it is.

Ben
Dating a women is like driving in a foreign country. You don't know what side of the road your on, you can't understand the signs and you certainly don't want to ask for directions but it usually worth the ride. :)

boto
Gnoblar

Post by boto »

thanks zander76,

i think i simply begin the work and see how fast i get through the engine api.

cheers
boto

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Estimated Azathoth release is weeks, not months. As you can see from the wiki we're an awfully long way there. The major changes are already listed there, and further major changes are not very likely.

Note that there are some things in CVS HEAD which are not quite working yet (e.g. RTT in GL, a couple of the demos and tools). If you want to start working on a more stable basis you can use the 'Hastur' branch and migrate to HEAD later.

boto
Gnoblar

Post by boto »

yeah, i have already studied the wiki, a lot of super enhancements and bugfixes.

thanks