Using Ogre for 3D 2D dev

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
serenity
Gnoblar

Using Ogre for 3D 2D dev

Post by serenity » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 am

Hi guys, damn the people that took down the forum to hell! My first post and it got totally zapped.

I have extensive experience doing 2D game dev, and have been coding Open GL based 2D games (taking advantage of alpha blending and rotation) for a while. I was wondering how to go about making a 3D game, where I position the camera over the top and angled just a bit, so that essentially I've got a nice 2D arcade shooter but in a slightly isometric style.

What are the general pointers you could provide in regard to having a contained level, with various objects. I'm using to having sprites and tiles, and am just wondering how best to translate this to a 3D evironment.

If there is an FAQ I've missed, I apologise, and would love a nudge in that direction,

Rob
0 x

joi
Gnome

Post by joi » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:17 pm

0 x

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:10 pm

Study the games at www.pompomgames.com :)
0 x

serenity
Gnoblar

Post by serenity » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:15 am

Yes indeed. I own both Space Tripper and Mutant Storm. Exactly the kind of thing.

joi, you're referring to what I already do myself using OpenGL, simply using quads and alpha blending in a traditionally software surface rendering world. That's a great method, but I was just looking for a few pointers or heads up to doing simple 3D work where the physics and collisions are going to remain 2D, and the models and world will be viewed more or less top down or side on 2D style.
I'd like to know what Ogre gurus would suggest as the best method to make a simple world that is a reflection of a traditional 2D tile based level, with some objects within the level, such as space ships, etc.

Rob
0 x

Sydius
Gnoblar

Post by Sydius » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:08 pm

I am wondering the same thing. I want to make a traditional 2D isometric RPG, but in 3D. Sort of like SNES-era RPGs, but with the ability to rotate the camera (only around the y axis)…

I was thinking of still using a tile-based system, where each tile is actually a 3D object instead of a 2D one. Start with a height-mapped terrain (which, granted, would mostly be flat), then plop down object on top.

Since the world is going to be very big and seamless (except a few situations), and since you will never be able to see a tile very far from the player (due to the limitation of it always being isometric), I was planning to write my own terrain handler… basically load blocks of terrain and objects on the fly, like UO does.
0 x