Is OGRE something for me?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
d00_ape
Gnoblar

Is OGRE something for me?

Post by d00_ape »

Hi.

I´m about to choose a 3D-egine to create a site for one ore many houses. I’ve looked at the OGRE-samples and it looks really good!

I’ve some things that I must be able to do:

1. Create an arbitrary 3D-polygon from an array of points (x,y,z).
2. Make a subtraction from one geometry to another (Boolean operation) and get the resulting geometry.
3. The user should be able to click on a geometry and be notified which object that was selected.

That was the main things. As I’ve seen, navigating in the scene should not be a problem.

I’ve scanned through the API and found classes like Ogre::Entity and so on. Really glad for tips on how I can start creating my own arbitrary geometries.
...and justice for all

jonnii
Halfling

Post by jonnii »

1 and 2 are really the job of your chosen level editor. for 3 you should search the forums for "picking". i believe there is a tutorial available somewhere, perhaps in the wiki.

Mr. Turner
Halfling

Post by Mr. Turner »

d00_ape
Gnoblar

Post by d00_ape »

jonnii wrote:1 and 2 are really the job of your chosen level editor.
Perfect - and thanks for that!

Do you might have a hint on where to serch for an example of how to create an arbitrary geometry and make a substraction of another.

Maybe a simple and stupid q but I'm quite new in the world of OGRE and really need help this early.
...and justice for all

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

d00_ape wrote:Do you might have a hint on where to serch for an example of how to create an arbitrary geometry and make a substraction of another.

Maybe a simple and stupid q but I'm quite new in the world of OGRE and really need help this early.
Generating geometry from boolean operations is not really Ogre specific. I suggest you Google for that, unless of course someone has a quick link.

For getting the geometry in to Ogre and displaying it, there are several options. If you're using a modelling program, that'll likely support boolean operations, you can export the geometry as .mesh-files. I you want to create the geometry on the fly inside Ogre, you can use manually created meshes or e.g. subclass SimpleRenderable. Both of these methods are described here on the forums and on the wiki, just search for them. HtH