Progress in Lanscape Ed(and new probs..)

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
BlooDragoN
Kobold

Progress in Lanscape Ed(and new probs..)

Post by BlooDragoN » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 pm

I've managed to code a noise effect for the plugin landscape, but I encountered some probs coding the flatten effect:
-first of all: Can I retrieve point height without using ray query??There are other functions but inaccesible outside..(I need a fast height calculation because I need to know the middle(medium??) height to calculate the size of height change using the flatten effect)

-There's a fast way to draw the effect zone on the terrain??(Using mouse pointer U can't see the radius of the effect)I've two ideas:1)a circle of billboard(all these billbords are on the terrain so we have to check their position every frame(Fast Height calculation needed);2)draw a 2d ellypsoyd on top to simulate a 3d circle(like drawing circles in MSpaint).This may be a fast solution but I haven't found any snippets regarding 2d projection of a 3d circle..

Any Ideas or tip??
Thnx in Advice
0 x

Lucky_Luciano
Greenskin

Re: Progress in Lanscape Ed(and new probs..)

Post by Lucky_Luciano » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:09 pm

BlooDragoN wrote: -first of all: Can I retrieve point height without using ray query??There are other functions but inaccesible outside..(I need a fast height calculation because I need to know the middle(medium??) height to calculate the size of height change using the flatten effect)
I've been looking for it aswell and I don't believe there is. Not sure though, you should ask Tuan Kuranes...
Also, I noticed its only the CameraRaySceneQuery that's terribly slow (especially on large distances), the other RayQuery is much, much faster...
-There's a fast way to draw the effect zone on the terrain??(Using mouse pointer U can't see the radius of the effect)I've two ideas:1)a circle of billboard(all these billbords are on the terrain so we have to check their position every frame(Fast Height calculation needed);2)draw a 2d ellypsoyd on top to simulate a 3d circle(like drawing circles in MSpaint).This may be a fast solution but I haven't found any snippets regarding 2d projection of a 3d circle..
Do you mean something like this? (These are two shots from a map-editor I'm currently working on for the Paging Landscape2 plugin.)
0 x

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 am

WoW!! :shock:

This looks absolutely gobsmacking! :D
0 x
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:54 am

*EDIT*

Found your main thread Lucky, I'm posting there.

*END EDIT*
0 x

BlooDragoN
Kobold

Post by BlooDragoN » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:06 pm

I mean like these lines :shock: :shock:
Really a great work..
0 x