From Russia With Love

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
RussianVodka
Gnoblar

From Russia With Love

Post by RussianVodka » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:45 pm

I couldn't find an off-topic section where I could introduce myself, so I hope General Discussion is ok.

Anyways, I'm what you'd call a long time reader, first time poster. I first found ogre about a year ago, and to this day I still can't get it to run with my VC6.

Hopefuly I'm gona get some more free time soon, and I will be able to study the tutorials in detail. Maby someday I'll even get the darn thing to work.

Lets see... What else.

I've been learning C++ on and off for the past year...
Anything that has to do with a comp usualy comes very easily to me...
I'm a big Russian patriot :P
No, I don't have a blood alchohol level that is leathal to most people... At the moment at least.

And I think that's it.

Oh, if anyone would be so kind as to toss me some tutorials on how to use Ogre with VC6, that would be great. (I've searched, but only found ones for VC7... Tried them, and they were'nt very compatable.)
0 x
In Soviet Russia, signature text reads you!

Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:51 pm

Hey welcome to the community! (nice signature ;))

As for the VC6 problem, you might wanna check the wiki as I think it has some info on setting it up. Worst comes to worst, there is always linux (just built ogre on it myself, no problems) or upgrading to vc.net 2k3
0 x
phear hingo

My Webpage

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:32 pm

Welcome aboard! :)

If you can't get VC6 to work - microsoft am not supporting that compiler anylonger they recently admitted - there's always DevCpp.
You can download a development package from the main Ogre Download page. :wink:
0 x
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:02 am

Note that you have to use Dev-C++ 4.9.9.1 / MinGW 3.3.1 for the DevPak to work. Check the wiki AbsoluteNewbiesGuide for more info if you chose that route.

edit: btw, the tutorials (Clay's and the one in AbsoluteNewbies) all work with Dev-C++ so far (I tried them Saturday), it's all a matter of learning how to manage Dev-C++ projects.
0 x

Whitebear
Greenskin

Post by Whitebear » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:36 am

Hi, RussianVodka!
I don't have a blood alchohol level that is leathal to most people... At the moment at least.
To achieve good results with crappy VC6.0 you'll need much more than lethal level of the Russian Vodka in your blood. :lol:
0 x
\_ :roll:_/

RussianVodka
Gnoblar

Post by RussianVodka » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:47 pm

Well, I'm gona try to "obtain" a coppy of VC7, if that does'nt work I'll go to DevC++.
0 x
In Soviet Russia, signature text reads you!

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:57 pm

I've been using VC6 until this past month, and was ok while I followed the instructions in the Ogre Manual (installing stlport...)

Good luck and welcome! ;)
0 x

joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:00 pm

It looks like we have a second Ogre Open Source solution thanks to Yannis and Code:Blocks, go check out the Developers forum (the thread about GCC on MinGW)! :)

No need to "obtain" VC7, because Code::Blocks has all of the functionality that VC7+ has (I have the VC 2005 beta, so I am coming from experience).

I believe I will migrate to Code::Blocks (or have a duel Code::Blocks/Dev-C++ solution) once he releases his SDK.
0 x