Number Of Polys?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Kdar
Gnoblar

Number Of Polys?

Post by Kdar »

under what number of polys should i keep my model?
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Depends. How many models are you going to have on screen at any one time? How many texture layers per model? What kind of hardware are you targeting? What is your application?
shaft
Halfling

Post by shaft »

No more than 36 triangles! Ha!

It really depends on several things.
1. The hardware you expext to run on... Better hardware can handle more.
2. Scene complexity - How many triangles are you expecting in a single scene. A 10K poly will animate just fine in an empty scene, throw in several 10k poly trees, with particle effects, lots of lights, etc. and things will slow down a bit.
3. Complexity of the skeleton (to a lesser degree).

So if you are doing a FPS where at most you can see a few complex creatures + scenery at a single instant, 10k poly is probably fine (probably could handle more - not sure poly counts on latest unreal tournament, or doom 3).

If you are doing a 3/4 view RTS where hundreds of units could be on screen at a time, I'd probably limit to a few hundred polys.

A real simple test... Take the skeleton demo in ogre, and keep adding walking robots until you notice the framerates dropping too low. Just remember to run the "RELEASE" build, or you may notice 10 objects is pushing it ;)
- Shaft (He's a bad motha... Shut yo' mouth)
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

Your total number of displayed poly in your viewport should be between 100K and 1M triangles, I would say.

Then it really depends on the framerate you're expecting and on the number of entities you will have in you scene.

1) One 1M poly object will render faster than 1000 x 1K poly objects.
2) Culling will be far more efficient with small size objects than with objects that are bigger than your frustrum.

Other than that, you need to keep CPU power, for other things that rendering.

- Sput