Question on the capabilities of Ogre...

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Rye Bread
Gnoblar

Question on the capabilities of Ogre...

Post by Rye Bread »

I'd consider myself an at least competent programmer and I'd like to try a larger project that what I normally do (Among other things, I've made some data structures from scratch and a bunch of different web pages out of PHP; I'm also at least familiar with Python, Java, and C, having used them before). The idea is a simple tech demo-esque where I can have two fighters and (although I'd like to implement a combat system if it goes well) at the very least have a fighter be able to kick another model. The important thing is that I'd like to recreate the kicking from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic- that being you can kick someone and just stagger them, or (if there's a spike wall or ledge behind them) power kick them. When you power kick an enemy their skeleton gets ragdolled and they fly backwards into the spikes or off the ledge. Additionally, when you approach a downed enemy before they get up, you can instant kill them (less important for the proof of concept). I'm trying to decide whether I should try to learn this engine or something like godot, and would like to know if ogre can easily support everything I'm looking to do. I'm not looking to heavily modify an engine otherwise I would crack open a book on OpenGL and make my own.
Thanks in advance, and any advice or links to resources that can help me achieve my goal through ogre would be appreciated.

Below is a humorous youtube video featuring said kicking abilities and the bulk of what I would like to achieve with this project.
devxkh
Halfling

Re: Question on the capabilities of Ogre...

Post by devxkh »

Hi!

my answer as a long years ogre user, with a similiar background like you:
Ogre ist not suited for "just for fun" game makers ;)
It's just a rendering engine.

For your usecase (and to save you a lot of headache), why not just use UE4? it has all what you need and is free.
There's a thirdperson example that solves 80% of your requirements (animations/skeleton/ragdoll/camera etc.).
My little OGRE engine -> FrankE WIP