[BETA RELEASED] Necro Mutex playtesters? Especially Oculus users.

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: [BETA RELEASED] Necro Mutex playtesters? Especially Oculus users.

Post by mkultra333 »

Funny you should say that...

One of the reviewers I sent a copy is getting badly glitched visuals in VR. Given VR is one of the selling points, I may have to delay the launch again. :?
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Hope you find it :(
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Been having a play again. Liking the larger levels on earlier sectors lets you see a lot more of what the engine is capable of.

Hope its going well with the release :mrgreen:
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm really sorry I kind of vanished for a while there, life and work got in the way (not in a good way).

But, damn, this is cool. I'm playing on the new Rift-S and it's working well.
VR4 Future is a bit much for my Threadripper / RTX 2080TI, but VR3 runs well. :)

I love the arm presence. I can't think of many other games with that, just floating hands.

I'll write up some more stuff on the Oculus compatibility on the weekend.

I've been stuck in Unity for too long (not by choice), this has inspired me to come back to my own VR Ogre stuff.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Hey thanks, sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the forums much, way too busy modelling and programming.

Really glad it worked for you. I got a rift user today who said he has a problem with motion tracking lag, so hopefully I haven't introduced a problem since you last played. But random users can have issues no one else has. I had one person who said the controller buttons wouldn't work, but no one else has had that problem (apart from one weekend when Steamworks added buggy code that busted legacy games.)

Since Necro Mutex is a mature audience game, I'm working on an all ages reskin called Attack Of the Retro Bots, with robots instead of weaponized corpses, hope to release that by the end of the month.

I really want to add multiplayer too, but I'm running on fumes and can't afford a second computer to work on the networking. Ugh!
Last edited by mkultra333 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Zonder wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:21 pm Been having a play again. Liking the larger levels on earlier sectors lets you see a lot more of what the engine is capable of.

Hope its going well with the release :mrgreen:
One of the problems when I first released it was people would just play the first 4 or 5 sectors in order, and they were very small and easy. The first thousand or so were small and easy. The idea I had in mind was that people would just play the minimum early levels they needed to buy some good guns, then skip ahead.

But I discovered almost no one plays the game like that in the beginning. 99% of people start by going from the first map and then the second and then the third, etc. Takes a while before they'd really get the idea. So I went with the flow and changed it so things ramp up very early instead, and I assume most will probably play the first 10 maps one after the other.

Thanks again for doing that play testing too, it helped a lot. :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

No prob, I know the feeling. :)
I don't use Ogre at work anymore (I wish I was, but Unity is mandated for most games stuff. Luckily I can still use SFML for 2D games), so I haven't been around here as much, plus moderating the Oculus forum is far more stressful and time consuming. People behave themselves here. :)
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

It would have made so much more sense for me to have used Unity or Unreal, at least that way I'd now have skills in a couple of industry standards. No one is going to be impressed by my hacky cowboy C++ Ogre and HLSL programming. :(

But back when I started (Ten years ago!) the other engines were never that great, or too expensive, and Ogre was the best option.