[BETA RELEASED] Necro Mutex playtesters? Especially Oculus users.

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: [BETA RELEASED] Necro Mutex playtesters? Especially Oculus users.

Post by mkultra333 »

Yeah, better change the "Video Start" thing. It's something I've know about for ages but was always a low priority.

Just want to check, have you used the Skills menu? The button is next to the Teleport button. That's where you get new guns and upgrades. It sounds a like you haven't upgraded your weapons or health.

With weapon switch, what weapons do you have? The way it works is, you have your weapon. Press weapon switch and then you can select a new weapon, then you can swap between them. If you've never used weapon switch before and you're currently using pistol, you'll have pistol set on both slots.

If none of the pickups are working, it'll be because you either don't have any of those guns or you do but the ammo is full. (Or it's a bug, but I'm guessing you don't have any of the guns because it takes a while to build up weapons.)

"E" can't be restricted because of the upgrade where a blast kills nearby thanatoids whenever you use a health pack. It's a cheap upgrade you get very early, and the blast is probably more important than the health.

Edit: There are quite a few buttons, and pressing the wrong one can be disastrous. But that's just a question of how well practiced the person is with the game.

E = Use a healthpack
F = Get navigation path to next objective.
R = Turn on autofire (fire constantly without needing to hold trigger)
C = Use pocket bonus. (Gems/Skulls/Caducues bonuses stored for later use)
X = Create/Use super bonus. (A super bonus is a collection of pocket bonues fused into one big bonus)
Z = Use a smartbomb (Like the health blast, but massively more damage and larger radius.)
T = Activate timewarp. (Enemies slow by a factor of 4, you slow by a factor of 2.)
Q = Gun swap.

It's a lot, but new skills only get introduced at a gradual pace, so the player has a chance to get familiar with these keys one at a time.

I'm probably going to leave the metals and cubemap as is now. Question of preference, sharp reflections everywhere don't look good. Plus the shader is packed out as far as textures go. But I'll keep what you said in mind, depending on other feedback.
Edit: Actually, maybe I will try a higher resolution cube map. Will test.

Has the game been crashing at all? It sounds like the maps ran okay this time.
Last edited by mkultra333 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.1. Just some minor changes.

- cut about 3 or 4 seconds off the map load time (Switched to a faster tangent generator algorithm for the surfaces that lack tangents.)
- reduced text size of "Sector Completed" and other large text so it doesn't look as stretched.
- fixed "Video Start" so it says "Necro Mutex" instead.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Yes I've been upgrading I unloced 3 weapons and maxed the first and upgraded fully health and armour. I have seen the option for damage when using medi pack. I guess makes sence and also you can unlock more slots. It is just me as a player haha ;)

With the weapon switching do you hold Q down? As if I press Q i'm not seeing any weapon selection. Maybe i've just misunderstood the usage.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Just tap Q. And think of it as a "Weapon Swap" rather than a "Weapon Select."

Say you're using a machine gun and tap Q. If you've never swapped weapons before, the other gun will be a pistol, and you'll switch to that. Now cycle the pistol to the shotgun using the mouse wheel, you'll be using a shotgun. Hit Q, and it'll swap back to the machine gun. Hit Q again, and it'll go back to the shotgun.

It hopefully shouldn't be too tricky. Just tap Q, change weapons around, tap Q again, see what happens.

The main point of the weapon swap is so you can have a special weapon you can jump to quickly if needed, instead of fumbling around with the mouse wheel cycling through them all. For instance, I often put the rocket launcher as the swap weapon so if anything really tough suddenly appears I can quickly swap and blow it up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done an experiment with a higher resolution cubemap, I'm uploading it as beta 1.4.2.

I'm not sure what I think of it. Maybe everything is a little too shiny. Surfaces that were supposed to just hint at a reflection are now clearly showing an environment. And it adds a lot of noise to smaller curved areas. Also makes it more apparent that the cubemap isn't really reflecting the surroundings.

But maybe I'm just too used to the old cubemap. I'll let you have a look and see what you think. I'm uploading the new beta now.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

The bit I was missing was use the mouse wheel :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
--

Think i'll get time later but I know i'm swamped this weekend so will be next week before more testing.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Have only had a few minutes to play, but the SSR to cubemap reflection boundary was very jarring, but I see you have now fixed it and it looks way better. I think the SSR blending could do with some work, I appreciate though that is something Ogre needs to do sort. Have not had a chance to use VR yet, so will report back when I do.

I quite like the game play, the green way point marker thing is really nice, I really want to try out some of the other guns, but currently I am impressively rubbish! I have only 2 real comments at the moment:

- Its too shiny! For me everything is way too reflective, and its sometime hard to gauge the environment, also artifacts in cubemaps and SSR are very obvious. If you toned it down a little, or added more variance it would not be so noticeable.
- The font. I dont like it! I feel its too blocky, and make the game look older than it is.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Thanks for the feedback al2950.

I probably should try and do a better font. I'll look around and see if there's anything I like.

I'm still tweaking the cubemaps and SSR, so I'll see what I can do. It'll probably always be fairly shiny, but I've just changed the cubemap to be more detailed and it makes things shinier still, and I'm not sure about it. Although as you say, it does make the SSR match the cubemap better. Metal surfaces are tricky because if they're shiny but you turn down the reflection they look more like marble than metal.

The SSR probably could use better blending. I was very obsessed with making it fast so I didn't do that much blending. But framerates seem to be pretty good so maybe I should revisit the SSR shader.

Experiments are ongoing.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Yeah I agree and see why you went with the lower mip. Wouldn't a gaussian blur produce a similar effect and remove the pixelation your getting?

And now the surfaces are more mirror like I see exactly what I was trying to put my finger on about something else SSR are badly blended. Maybe look at those while surfaces are shiny still easier to see the blending problems.

Guns change fine :D does it mention the mouse wheel anywhere? I obviously missed it.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm going to work on the reflections and SSR today, I have a plan. Pixellation, as opposed to blur, I can deal with easily now that I have a higher res cubemap.

No, don't think it does mention the mouse wheel, I'll put a note in on the options page.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Oh another nicety would be to allow windows full screen. I tend to play all games like that now, I don't use full screen mode I tend to be writing code and reading docs while playing :D
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm not sure what you mean.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

I think he means bordeless window mode?
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Ah. I'll look into it. If I can get it working quickly I'll give it shot, but if it messes with my head in any way it'll have to go on the back burner.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

yeah sorry thats what I mean borderless windowed mode :) I'd put it as low priority its just a nicety tbh.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.3 is now live.

- Better blending between SSR and cubemap.
- Reflections toned down on some surfaces, especially the floor and some walls.
- New font.
- Fixed some bugs in the leaderboard updating, and added a new leaderboard for sectors completed.
- Minor modifications to pistol and SMG to make them more effective.
- Player now starts game with both SMG and pistol.
- Beginning sectors have more monsters, instead of just 1 or 2.

Update's a bit bigger than the others due to new textures, so it takes 5 or 6 minutes to download.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Font looks good and reflection are better. Not sure if it's running faster but I've started to get screen tearing so I enabled v-sync and now I am definitely losing frames. Anyway to turn on a FPS panel?

Sector Complete Screen:

- The bottom box with the buttons the border isn't consistent around it.
- Was thinking an extra bit on this screen showing the next sector so you can just continue. Also a rogue type mode would be good where you just play constantly until you die sorta like, teleport from the sector end directly to the next and upgrades applied automatically. needs a bit more thought but I may as well put it out there :D

Leader board:

- Time is same for every one
- Hi sector is same for every one

Sector Selection Screen:

- "W" is too low on "LOW AMMO"
- Mouse is doubled up compared to main screen not sure if this is deliberate looks odd.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Anyway to turn on a FPS panel?
There is but it also adds a ton of debug info that is extra messed up at the moment because I haven't fixed it to use the new font. But I might add a simplified one that users can enable.
- Time is same for every one
- Hi sector is same for every one
Hmm, so it is. This is the first time I've had a chance to see the leaderboard with someone else apart from me on it. Before you had to reach at least sector 500 before going on the leaderboard, but I changed it so that it takes any level. I'll try and debug it.
Edit: The Rating is correct but the additional data is wrong. Fortunately I can extract that data from the Rating, so I should be able to get it working.
- "W" is too low on "LOW AMMO"
Still a few glitches in the new font, will fix it.
- Mouse is doubled up compared to main screen not sure if this is deliberate looks odd.
I think I know what the problem is, I'll look into it.
- Was thinking an extra bit on this screen showing the next sector so you can just continue. Also a rogue type mode would be good where you just play constantly until you die sorta like, teleport from the sector end directly to the next and upgrades applied automatically. needs a bit more thought but I may as well put it out there :D
I'll look at the border.

For the continue button, interesting idea. I didn't think people would play one sector after another. I tend to only play sectors that have the right combination of challenges, so that I get maximum reward. I pick sectors that have at least the No Ammo and Min Kill challenges, and usually additionally Mega Thanatoids, Radiation Rooms and Shuggoids, so that my final score is x64, x128 or more. And once I have the ultra skill that extends the time limit, I also add the Time Limit challenge so that's an additional x4. If the map looks fairly simple, not to much branching, I'll chuck in the No Nav challenge as well.

I'll see what other feedback I get on the way people play the game. It's interesting to see there might be quite different strategies from my own.

I have considered a mode similar to the rogue-like, also like "ultra nightmare" on Doom. You get one life, that's all (although the "Death Evasion" skill still works, so you can get away with up to 10 deaths in a sector. That probably sounds like a lot, but you burn through them pretty quick once you get up past sector 3000.)
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Was thinking that maybe add a god mode or something so later sectors can be tested.

This is purely for peformance testing I've noticed a few stalls on some busy sectors but it's hard to judge because I die to quick haha :mrgreen:.

Maybe something simple like hold CTRL+ALT+SHIFT when clicking teleport. should disable all sector complete code so it dosn't count anything or block the sector off so you can test again.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.4 uploaded. My eyes are blurry from 14 hours of programming so hopefully I haven't messed it up. It seems to take so long to achieve so little, mainly due to painfully long compile times.

-Leaderboards should now show proper information.
-Fixed the W.
-Fixed the double cursor.
-Other tweaks and minor fixes.

Sometimes leaderboards won't update, I'm not sure if it's my fault or the Steam servers are just slow/inaccessible sometimes.
Was thinking that maybe add a god mode or something so later sectors can be tested.
I might do that. There's already an "Immortal" mode I use just for testing, but it has to be set before compiling.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.5 released. Just a small change for VR users, added a "Gun angle" option based on feedback for the Rift.
Edit: Now 1.4.6 to fix a small bug in the Gun Angle code.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.8 released.

Lots of fixes to the leaderboards. They should update better now. Also some minor formatting changes to make the ratings more readable.

Biggest change to the game is the addition of a Permadeath option that can be selected when a new game is started. That means game over if you ever die. (Death evasion skill still works, since the point is that it stops you dying.) Also permadeath games can't be saved, so if you quit it's also game over. This is to stop "save scumming" where the player backs up the saved games and simply reuses the old save when they die.

Permadeath games have their own set of leaderboards as well.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Beta 1.4.9 released.

Lots of people seem confused by not being able to pick up items. I didn't expect that, since in virtually all shooters you can't pick up items for guns your don't have or for guns that are already fully stocked. But the people have spoken, so I've made it so thanatoids don't drop ammo for guns people don't have yet.

Some VR users select the wrong start configs, either the non-VR standard config or VR configs with settings too high for their system to run. So I've changed the startup dialog to add some extra info suggesting which configs to use.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Quick update.

Was set to release on Jan 7 but ran into accommodation problems. Resettled now, and the new release is set for Feb 8.

Thanks to everyone who play tested, especially Zonder. All the feedback from here and other places was very useful. While the core gameplay didn't change, a lot of peripheral changes were made that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, that have hopefully improved the user experience.

Steam page is https://store.steampowered.com/app/872470/Necro_Mutex/
Owl53
Halfling

Post by Owl53 »

Posted a while back, congrats on making it to release! Hope everything goes well! :mrgreen:
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I was glad to help no thanks needed

Really hope the release goes well and we didn't miss anything during testing! :D